Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent smokers who uses em who swears by em?

teej89

NE PA
Now that I'm finally moved in to my apt I have my spare bedroom as my hunting room with all my gear. With me being HUGE on scent control, which drives my dad CRAZY, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my clothes. I have to use the laundromat for washing my clothes which sucks cuz I normally run the washer prior to throwing in my hunting clothes to get any "soapy scents". So this brought me to smoking. I figured I'll still wash them in scent free detergent and then package them tight in the Rubbermaid and change when I get out of the car to hunt.

Who here smokes their clothes and what's your opinion? Also what is your setup and what smoker do you have? What kind of wood chips do you use?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
It may be easier for you to ask who does NOT use a smoker! rotflmao Just saying........
All jokes aside. I was one of the skeptic's about the smoking-up. I seen it work 2 amazing times last year and I am now sold on it. I myself use hickory chips but have 2 bags of cherry to try as well. You will want to PM Brock and line-up your smoker.
I use a huge plastic tub with a hole cut in it. Smoke them good and then again as you put them on.

I have been using the Scent Smoker for I believe 4 years now. I swear by it and have convinced my buddy as well. I can give you countless examples of how it worked with deer from distances to literally feet away. I pre-smoke all of my clothing and have an old outhouse that I have a clothing rod in and plenty of hangers that I set up the Scent Smoker in. Use hickory mostly hickory chips but also add some pine needles and pine cones for that extra 'stick' to the clothing. When down in Ohio I smoke my clothes periodically while there by using either a pop up blind or have occasionally used the bed of my pick-up with the cap on and the door closed. Just have to make sure the SS is sitting on something that will not melt or burn so I usually have a brick or something similar to set it on.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I have used one for 3 years now and swear by it, I use the bags of hickory chips you can get at wally world. I usually hang mine on the line to dry after washing them and smoke them after they are dry, then place them in a large tote with a small hole in the side at the bottom, once they are in there I fill the tote full of smoke and then stick a piece of duck tape over the hole. Once I get to my hunting spot I fire up the smoker first thing and smoke each layer of clothes as I put them on, lastly I smoke any thing else such as backpack, bow etc....

Huckleberry Finn

Anyone that uses it, lives by it - because it really does work.

I'm in the same setup that you're in. My hunting clothes are all hung in a spare closet right now. The nice thing about the smoker is that after that initial no scent wash, everything can go into totes. From there, you can smoke up in your apartment parking lot at 5am before a hunt (and smoke your truck/car too), or smoke up at the side of the road once you get to your hunting location. You can "pre-smoke" clothes the night before and leave them in a tote, etc.

You'll need a smoker, propane torch, and chips (most use hickory). I saw a 2.5 pound bag of hickory chips yesterday at Lowe's for $4.50. You can also find them at Meijers, Sears, etc...look in the grilling section. And then you'll need either rubbermaid totes (preferred) or the huge zip-lock bags.

This will be my 4th season using the smoker.

Here's a bunch of threads that you can read through to get you started. I haven't included anything about success stories, simply click through the archery thread and you'll find many, many deer whose last smell was hickory...

General Scent Smoker Thread

Clothes Storage

Smoking hunting blinds

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You can pretty much take what has been said up too this point as deer hunting gospel.... Some folks were skeptics as was I and tried their damnedest too prove it wrong too no avail....

Biggest bang for your buck in the scent control area.... I won't go into the woods with weapon in hand without smoking up first.....

PS.... Just don't run it over as that's the only hunter complaint about..... Hahaha

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I would venture to guess over 90% over TOO members use the Scent Smoker. Number 1 tool in my opinion. Your first experience with deer down wind will sell you on having made the right purchase.

It will go something like this...mature deer gets downwind and catches a nose full of smoke. They throw their nose to the air and sniff a moment. Shake tail and drop their head to continue browsing while at ease.

I usually hang cloths in my garage and smoke them up and the store in rubbermaide bins. I also fire the smoker up at my truck when getting dressed before a hunt being sure to get my head, face, hands, boots, bow, etc.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Word to the wise. Read the threads in here about the smoker from start to finish. THERE IS A POINT WHERE A 4" FLAME CAN COME OUT OF THE SMOKER when you least expect it. Can be an instant haircut if in the wrong position.:smiley_blackeye:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It is the single most effective hunting tool I own and I will not hunt without it. I have a big Rubbermaid closet I smoke my clothes in as well as a Stanley Job Box with a hole in the side I use to transport gear to and from the field. Like Huck posted, there's lots of good threads around here on the smoker and how to go about it. Good luck!

Huckleberry Finn

Biggest bang for your buck in the scent control area.... I won't go into the woods with weapon in hand without smoking up first.....

I think that is a HUGE draw to the smoker as well. What do they sell for these days, $35? After that initial investment, throw in a propane torch that you probably already have, and a bag or 2 of chips each year to feed the smoker. That ain't bad!

beaston

Me too. just as important as shooting/practicing with the bow. I use a Blind to hang all my stuff in and set the smoker on a cinder block and soak everything in smoke til she burns out. Been using it for 5+ years now.