Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Surprise! Surprise!

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
We went to my wifes grandmothers for the 4th and I got a great surprise when we was coming up the road. This property has been one of my best places for bowhunting but always lacked a decent food source and due to a large dairy farm surrounding the property and numerous corn and soybean fields it was hard to hold deer on it. Always have got some good pics of large deer and have killed some nice deer there but was always lacking something to hold them on the property. When we was driving up the road there is a large field that has always been a hayfield that led into a nice bedding area on their property, so to my surprise when we topped the hill and look out there all I see now is a large corn field! the dairy farmer approached grandpa and grandma about planting corn in their field this year instead of cutting the hay, they said sure. Needless to say I'm pretty excited about this, I know the deer movement for this property and with this corn there now they have it all on this part of the property and hopefully they will use the property for more than a travel route now, Stands will be going up next weekend and there will be acouple between this field and the bedding area

corn.jpg

Don, I'm sure you know where this field is, you probably drive by it frequently

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Looks like a killer spot. Its always nice to have a late season food/cover source to keep the big boys in the area! Best of luck

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is some good kind of surprise right there. Usually the surprises in deer hunting are negative rather than positive. lol

Ricer2231

We went to my wifes grandmothers for the 4th and I got a great surprise when we was coming up the road. This property has been one of my best places for bowhunting but always lacked a decent food source and due to a large dairy farm surrounding the property and numerous corn and soybean fields it was hard to hold deer on it. Always have got some good pics of large deer and have killed some nice deer there but was always lacking something to hold them on the property. When we was driving up the road there is a large field that has always been a hayfield that led into a nice bedding area on their property, so to my surprise when we topped the hill and look out there all I see now is a large corn field! the dairy farmer approached grandpa and grandma about planting corn in their field this year instead of cutting the hay, they said sure. Needless to say I'm pretty excited about this, I know the deer movement for this property and with this corn there now they have it all on this part of the property and hopefully they will use the property for more than a travel route now, Stands will be going up next weekend and there will be acouple between this field and the bedding area

View attachment 14483

Don, I'm sure you know where this field is, you probably drive by it frequently

I know exactly where you are talking about Tad. That just puts another thing in your favor out there. That was already a bad ass spot. Best of luck to ya this year, there are some HOGS out there, but you know that! ;)

themedic

OHIO
I got that kind of surprise last year when the property behind my mom and dads was bought by a farmer and he planted a 15 year old short fescue grass into beans. In turn, last year was the best deer hunting year I've ever had on that property. I think your going to have a good year.

Ricer2231

I forgot to mention earlier that if you would want a hunting companion out there with you know just to keep ya company,;) I could probably come up with a stand to hang. Just wanted to offer that up for ya. :)
Good luck buddy, I got a feeling there's gonna be a brute come outta there this fall.

Last edited: