Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Reloading at or above the Maximum?

I have 2 good friends that have told me this method for finding the best reload, both of which have more experience than the average person. The "theory" is based on most rifle's efficiency or performance curve.

This is how it was explained to me:
According the online IMR reloading data, it shows (for a 22-250 & a 55gr. bullet) 36.3 gr. of powder will give 3713 f.p.s. Knowing that, both of my friends would load a 55gr. bullet with 37.0 gr. of powder, shoot it and check the primer to see if it had flattened out. If not, they'd load 38.0 gr. of powder, check it and it if wasn't flattened, the next load would be 39.0 gr., etc.

This would continue until a flat primer would show signs of pressure. At that point...let's say at 39.0 gr. the primer was flattened, then there would be 3 rounds loaded at 38.0 gr. and shot at 100 yards over a chronograph. If the grouping was good and there was no extreme spread in the 3 different speeds, that would determine what the load should be for that rifle/bullet combination.

I have used this method of finding the "right load" for 2 of my rifles and it has worked flawlessly.

Has anyone every tried this process or heard of this method?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
No I haven't.
But it sounds like it makes sense.

Being relatively new to reloading, I've been talking to experienced guys as much as possible. More than one has expressed to me that mfgrs have been dialing back their "max" number in order to be super-safe and steer clear of lawsuits, erring on the side of caution. I'm not saying it's right to load higher than the published max, but what they say has the ring of truth to it. Also have been told that if you look at OLD handbooks/loadcharts that the numbers for the same powder were sometimes higher than what's being published currently.

Personally, I paint inside the lines. :smiley_angelmusic:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Using primers to judge pressure is an old trick. However just because its old doesn't make it a good idea. Lots of variables to take into account. Variations between cases, powder charges, bullet seating depth. Then there are variations in primers themselves, even out of the same box ie thickness in the metal.

I usually like to find several sources for a load. Back off 10% and work up. Not saying I never exceed max but I usually don't. I often find the best accuracy a little below max.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'll hit the capacities but don't go over them, and will cross reference old versus new.... Sometimes you can split the differance and come to a happy medium....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Don't like it especially with the variances of primer pockets hardness. Also, powder over limit and pressure isn't a constant. A little over could only be an additional pressure of 2k. That same amount over then could raise pressure by 10k.

Every round I have made so far has been the most accurate on the middle of recommended charges/pressures.

Thank you, for your informative replies, gentlemen! :smiley_bril:

When I say, "I've tried it...", I'm referring to being at their facility while they were doing the reloading and trying these loads. It appears that these guys have been misleading me with some dangerous information. The only time that I have went over the maximum loads, was for the Desert Eagle that I owned. The DE wouldn't cycle if the loads weren't at maximum and loaded with heavy jacketed bullets.

I'm working up a new load for my current rifle and haven't come close to the maximum loads and have been getting reasonable accuracy. Changing the bullet seating depth has been helping me find the most accurate load, so far. This rifle seems to be a bit more particular than others that I've owned. I'm heading out to the range again tomorrow, for some more testing with a different powder and loads. It's getting to be an interesting challenge.

Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I do have certain powders that seem to like to be a little closer to max (CFE223 and Benchmark). Once I hit the recommended maxs it seems groups tend to disintegrate.

Once I found a couple of good powder weights using multiple charges and five shot groups.... I then shoot ten shot groups of the two best powder charges and see which one has the best group. That is how I have come to find my loads so far anyway,

I would be more inclined to max out loads in revolvers than rifles.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just like humans every gun doesn't react the same. Primers overall is a poor judgement call for pressure. Federal primers always have been supper soft.
A flat primer in a pistol is almost always over the max pressure rating for a pistol.
Newer powders seem to be hotter than older aged powders of the same name. So that's a good reason never to compare a old reloading manual with a new reloading manual. Plus pressure equipment is better today than in the days gone past.

In another sense no animal on earth will know the difference of a bullet impacting on it going couple feet faster. Just saying.

FredT

SE Ohio
Another factor I have seen while loading for service rifle competition for 30 years or so is when you develop the load. If you develop a good load in the fall and you decide to shoot that load in the 94 degree July heat, what will that do to that max, near max or over max load that shot fine in the October cooler weather. Just me, I never load max. Don't need the extreme. I'll go to a bigger gun first. .223 won't do it? The Swift probably will.

Good discussion.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
When I was still going to SD to shoot PD's I loaded 223AI for a custom AR15. Here in Ohio it shot near one hole groups at 100 yds. The 223AI is 300 fps faster than a regular 223. Hell of a round at about mid-range 22-250 speed. No recoil and fast follow up shots in a auto.
In SD in the heat it pierced almost every primer. Heat and rise in altitude I guess. I came home and pulled over 1000 rounds. No need for the round here.
So I feel the size of the round has no bearing on heat and max problems.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
What I have found with accuracy is that your bullet seating is one of the most important things. And as others have said usually middle range will shoot better than a Max load. A Max load isn't gaining you that much fps buts does create a lot more pressure. There are a slew of reloading manuals that will give you a low to upper powder ranges. Find the powder you are using and it will give you pressures, velocity, charges upper and lower limits,over all cartridge length, trim to length for your case. A good updated reloading bible has a lot of info in it that is very reliable and useful. It is enjoying working up new loads and actually seeing how well of a group a gun can shoot. Good luck with it have fun and stay safe.