Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cap light, hat light, whatever its called.

Ricer2231

My guide gave me a list of things that I should bring with me in August. One of the things on the list is a light you clip on the bill of your hat. He said a lot of the tracking is done at night and I should bring one of those and a flashlight. The flashlight I have covered,two different MagLights, but I don't know whats a good quality cap light. I really don't want to spend an arm and a leg on one but I don't mind spending enough for a quality light. I have never owned one of these lights and any input would be greatly appreciated, even from you Ric. :)

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I use the cats eyes, have had them for some years now and it just happens too take the same batteries as my red dot....

There's a lot of hem out there, mine still work good and until they break no reason too change....

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I didn't buy mine, but yes, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

The output is crazy, the batteries are cheap/readily available, and the thing is crazy durable! Outside of hunting, I use this thing for everything. When taking out the trash, it lights up the full 128' of frontage to the street enough I have no problem pulling up the sidearm and aiming without any problems.

Prior to the S. Minimus, I used a 4 AA ol "miner" sytle headlamp. I still have it as a backup, but I HIGHLY recommend this headlamp. I acquired it free, but again, would have no issue buying one when the time comes.

Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I hae always used the cyclops for getting in and out of the stand in the dark, but use one of the energizer ones from Wally World for tracking at night.

Ricer2231

Well, I went today and got a headlamp for my trip. Quite a few of y'all were using the energizer brand from Wally World so I thought I would give it a try TOO. Here is the one I got.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373129114.713062.jpg
This ($20.00) and the stinking batteries I need for my flashlights came to almost $50.00! The price of batteries is ridiculous.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Well, I went today and got a headlamp for my trip. Quite a few of y'all were using the energizer brand from Wally World so I thought I would give it a try TOO. Here is the one I got.
View attachment 14491
This ($20.00) and the stinking batteries I need for my flashlights came to almost $50.00! The price of batteries is ridiculous.

This is where the Surefire really shines. You can buy batteries in bulk pack. I have only gone through 2 in 2013. This box will last me years, and they are designed for high shelf life (like 9yrs.).

Link - http://www.batteryjunction.com/sf-12-123a.html?gclid=CO7u24-9nbgCFclDMgodIDMAFA

Last edited: