Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snapping Turtles

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Since there is no specific place for turtles I figured this was as good a place as any to ask.

Is it mating season for the snapping turtles?

Reason I ask is over the course of driving all over God's green earth for work I have seen 3 snappers in the last few days on or near the road. Seen a good size one on my way home this evening. Just thought I would ask or see if anybody else has seen this lately TOO lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Yep

Should be about over

As I was picking up some nice snapper's several weeks back

John

Thanks for the feedback.

Didn't know if it was the urge to mate or if they was out and more visible because of all this rain we have been getting making it easier for them to get around.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I took a pic of two mating last shed season in late Feb. early March in a waterway just 40 yards below a pond.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went back and checked my shed thread from last year to see just when I came across those stacked snappers and it was 3-23-12. If he was still there when I came back through I would have threw him in my truck bed and took him home.

Ricer2231

Live action!!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372872461.847733.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Now Ric, you stop that and play nice!
You two pick a player and be nice.

Hahaha, funny stuff Don! I think them two girls need to have a mud wrestling match to see who'd win...:pickle:

Very funny stuff Diane... It's amazing what them critters can do!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Actually, snapping turtle is very tasty. The butchering process is a little tricky, but the meat is damn good. I prefer the tail, neck and back straps. Par boil it, dust with flower and pan fry or deep fry.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Actually, snapping turtle is very tasty. The butchering process is a little tricky, but the meat is damn good. I prefer the tail, neck and back straps. Par boil it, dust with flower and pan fry or deep fry.

Been a long time since I had turtle. I do remember watching dad butcher a couple and it didn't look like that much fun lol.