Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arrow setup reccomendations

teej89

NE PA
So I've always shot Carbon Express in the past, just the low end arrows they have. However recently I've decided to buy my first bow ever after having the same one my dad had bought me ten years ago. BTW I went with the Bowtech Insanity, QAD HDX rest, and spott hogg hogg it sight, I love the thing.

So now I'm in the market for some new carbon since I went from shooting #50 to #70. What shafts do you guys recommend? I'm also kicking around the idea of buying NAP Quickfletch Blazers or possibly getting wraps. I've never had either before, any input on that? Right now I just use an Arizona fletcher to fletch my arrows.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good choice on the Spot Hogg. I have the same sight and love it as well.

What is your draw length? You'll need to factor that in when choosing a properly spined arrow. I have always shot Easton arrows, so that will be my recommendation. I've shot the ST Axis arrows for a long time, along with the Flatlines. Both are high quality arrows, with the Axis arrows being a really tough, durable hunting arrow. Easton has an arrow selector you can view here: Easton Arrows Selector. I have a 30.5" draw and am shooting 68 pounds. I just ordered the Axis 300's so that I could build a good heavy arrow.

As for the NAP Quickfletch, I cannot comment on those. I know a few guys here have used them and seem to like them. For me, it just does not look like something I'd want to mess with. I'm a wrap and Blazer guy. Usually when I ordered a dozen arrows, I do half with no wrap and the other half with. I use the wrapless arrows to practice with so I can beat them up and not have to replace the wrap. I use a white wrap and white Blazer vanes on my hunting arrow so the blood shows up well and I can track my arrow in flight. The new Axis arrows come with a factory installed wrap and I'll keep those until they warrant removal. Using the Arizona fletcher should make things nice and easy.

Good luck! Lots of great choices out there.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Another vote for Easton arrow shafts here. I've had really good luck shooting the Easton Flatlines. Last year I went to a heavier arrow and started shooting Easton Excel shafts. They are very affordable, have consistent spine, and get the job done. That's all I need. I think it's easy to overspend on arrows. A lot of people get caught up in the hype of advertising and spend money for unnecessary bells and whistles. Are you going to notice a difference between shafts with weight and spine tolerances of .001 or .006? Hell no. So why spend 150 bucks for the .001's?

I've never used any of the Quickfletch products. I don't really trust them. But I also really enjoy sitting down and fletching arrows, so I don't need any reason to speed up the process. Like Jesse, I prefer white fletching for increased visibility and blood inspection. I use the Arizona EZ Fletch Mini for my Blazer vanes and it works incredibly well. Loctite Super Control Gel is what I use for adhesive. Oh, and wipe 'em down good with clean Acetone first.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Muddy or Black Eagle. I prefer a slightly lighter arrow with a stiffer spine and heavier point. Also, the specs on these arrows for the price are great. A well know arrowsmith did a test of the Muddy (when they were harvest time) and the variance of weight and spine was as good as A/C/C's.

I had used FMJ's and they were always getting outta whack. I really like CX's also (used CX 300's for years) but CX is so expensive for a mid to high end arrow.

teej89

NE PA
Thanks guys I think I'll look into the advertising. And yeah I think I got hooked on CE's advertising haha I'm gonna stop out at cabelas on my way over to columbus tomorrow to use up a gift card. I'll check out some of the easton arrows there. Any recommendations on bow shops in columbus to buy arrows, fletchings, and wraps from? I like to support the local archery shops, the old man brought me up that way.