Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kentucky elk hunts

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyone put in for the Kentucky elk tags? I have not yet done so but every year we go to the reunion I think more and more about doing so. My relatives live (mainly) in Knott County Kentucky. This is the elk capital of Kentucky. I believe they call it the Elk Capital of the East. Many say the next record bull may very well come out of this area. If you have any desire to elk hunt fairly close to home I would highly recommend trying to get a KY tag. It is beautiful country and the people treat you like family even if you are not.

This isn't the best video there ever was but you get the idea. I was standing on a rock and had no tripod with me. When I zoom out in the video you see it was pretty dang far out there. You will see 4 elk in the video and 2 of them happened to be collared. One of them was a decent looking rack already but they are still growing. Hope you enjoy.

[video=youtube;7eyYugcbJac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eyYugcbJac[/video]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is a bit of the drive up to glass the elk. The road wasn't really that bad but I was having fun. There are plenty of places my wife's Envoy would not have made it. lmao

[video=youtube;J4be1Qqta0s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4be1Qqta0s[/video]

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I saw where it's ten bucks to enter, but when I go and look for that at checkout, the option is not there for non-residents.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The drawing for 2013 was over the end of April.
A gunshow guy from Ohio I setup by got drawed for a cow. Cow is about 100% harvest rate.
I believe he said something like 60,000 entered for about 1000 permits or so. Then only 20% for out of state.
He applied the last 3 years.

I thought about applying this year but couldn't find anyone to go with me.
Their website surely is not easy to weed through.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If anyone here is ever drawn, look me up. My relatives live in the area they were initially introduced. Even if you get drawn for another area, I guarantee you they can point you in the right direction. They are in the telephone, cable, and cellular industry. They know pretty much everyone in the area.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
AA buddy who is a resident has been putting in a long time . His 15 yr old son drew a archery cow last yr and killed a big cow .

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If anyone here is ever drawn, look me up. My relatives live in the area they were initially introduced. Even if you get drawn for another area, I guarantee you they can point you in the right direction. They are in the telephone, cable, and cellular industry. They know pretty much everyone in the area.

Hi Phil. I will let Danny know. He will be setup beside me at the Lima Coon Trails. We both set up at the Lima Gunshows in the SE building and that's the same building we are in at the Coon Trails.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a problem. Not saying they can 100% get them access to private property or that they will have a trophy bull lined up for them. I guarantee they could get them in the right ballpark (within a few miles) where the higher densities of elk reside.