Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Some of my SE Kentucky Heritage

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I could write a short book on stories of childhood reunions and memories in Kentucky. There was a lot of love and happy times in our family along with some sad times and heart breaking stories. We gather together annually for a reunion and my relatives come from miles away and multiple states to enjoy it. It is a blessing to be part of such a wonderful family. For such a large family to still remain connected after so many generations is truly impressive.

My great grandmother Graci (Hall) Slone was the core of our close family. She lived to nearly 95yrs old. She had 9 children with my Grandma Ann being the oldest. My father Larry Hicks was the first grandchild for her. Dad was almost like the 10th child. Factor in early marriages and Grandma Ann had Dad at 17yrs old and it is easy to see how he was like the 10th child in the family. Dad was not much younger than his youngest aunts/uncles. I could tell stories passed down from my great aunts and uncles all day long. Dad recollected several of them over the weekend at the reunion. Stories of his aunts introducing him to cigarettes and giving him pure vanilla as a child were among the stories told.

Grandma Graci's home. I remember her living room being a sofa with quilting racks, needles, material, and related items. It was always filled with pictures of her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren among others. She was very proud of her babies. I remember the fireplace in the center, the bathroom built off the house to the left side and sagging away from the house as long as I can recall. She never had plumbing in the house until the late 60's. To the right of the living room was Grandma's bedroom and the backside of the fireplace. You walked thru her bedroom to another bedroom. Behind the living room was the kitchen/dining area. I don't believe I ever left that house without a full belly. Fresh veggies from the garden, cornbread, ham and beans, and many more delicious meals were enjoyed at Grandma's house. I believe she would have been insulted if you didn't eat there.

Grandma's quilts. I don't remember ever seeing her in her home without a quilt on her lap or in front of her. All 9 of her children had kids, and most of them have had children. Most of us great grandchildren have our own families as well. I am 99% certain she made each and every one of her grand babies quilts. She had a label she put on each one stating "Made with Tender Loving Care by Grace Slone". She also made many dolls. As I grew older and spoke with her I remember her telling me "I wouldn't want any of my babies to ever be cold." When Grandma Gracie was sick she was working on a quilt for our daughter Graci. Her fingers barely worked, and she could only see with one eye but she was doing what she loved "to keep her babies warm" all the way to the end. I should add, my daughter is not the only great great grandchild with her name. As large as our family is, I am proud to say there were two of us who named our children after her. Erin and I discussed naming our daughter Slone after her last name, but decided to incorporate her great grandmother Ann and great great grandmother Gracie's names to keep the heritage alive. Grandma Gracie was extremely proud of each of her grandchildren. We are proud to have honored her with the name, and it seemed fitting Grandma was quilting her last quilt for one of her namesakes. Two of my great aunts had to finish the quilt after Grandma passed. I am tearing up just thinking of the love which went into this quilt.

Priceless stories. I could type all night recollecting stories from Grandma, my great aunts/uncles, parents, cousins, and friends of the family. Grandpa Bobby ran a taxi service in the 30's to provide for the family. Most families didn't have shoes let alone a vehicle. I was told there were only two cars in Knott county at the time and his was one of them. He would drive it into Lexington to "taxi" people on the weekends. Sounds pretty similar to how NASCAR racing started or a Dukes of Hazzard episode. My great Grandfather might have done some bootlegging of moonshine in his day, but he made sure his family had what was needed. They hunted for food, grew a garden, raised chickens and livestock, heated with wood or coal, and stories of running to the outhouse in the winter are plentiful. Grandma Graci used to roll her own cigarettes as was common at the time given the tobacco grown in the area. Even in the 80's when she had the first heart issues I remember, there are stories of her demanding her cigarettes in the hospital room. She did eventually kick the habit, but it is amazing she lived as long as she did given such a harsh life. Cooking with lard, fat, real butter, plenty of salt, and none of our modern conveniences was the norm. Horseback or walking was the standard mode of transportation. Shoes were a luxury when my grandmother was born 82yrs ago. You didn't buy clothes at the store, and there certainly wasn't a thought of cell phones or social networking. Our generation could stand to learn from what our previous generations went thru to better our lives.

Here is a picture of my wife, Erin, and daughter GraciAnn, talking about the wonderful woman she was named after at her grave site.

This is the headstone of my great grandfather Bobby and his wife Gracie (Hall) Slone.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is my great great Grandparents Hall's tombstone placed very close to Grandma Gracie's.

On the back of Grandma Gracie's tombstone are the names of her siblings.

In the family cemetery there are several others as well. Here are pictures of two of Grandma Gracie's brothers' markers. Harold was a WWII Air Force veteran and Ivis was a WWII Army vet. I remember Uncle Ivis living in what most would consider a shack behind Grandma Gracie's house until he passed.

Here is a picture of my family in front of Grandma's porch. There was a lot a swinging and shucking beans which took place on that porch.

Here is a view of the house from the road.

To the right of her house she always had a garden. My Great Uncle Worley (also a veteran) still tends to it to this day. When we pulled in we could hear his chickens and dogs in the background. He still lives up behind her and his brother Burtrom lives to the right of the garden. He is also a veteran and many stories can be told of my great uncles. Uncle Worley still hunts and hits the flea markets regularly. Uncle Burt still rides his 4 wheeler despite being around 80yrs old. You cannot change these men. Uncle Worley was rototilling his garden 4 weeks after his open heart surgery. There are some tough birds that came out of the Appalacian region and my uncles are amongst them.

To the left of Grandma's house is the family cemetery.

Here is a view of Grandma's house from the cemetery. You can see my Uncle Burtrom's house in the background.

I can type all night, but this is as much of the highlights as I am going to try to fit in for now.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Further to the left is an old one room school house which is now a home. The view of the school house is from the cemetery. Dad said he never attended this school, but his aunts and uncles did.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for reading it Mike. I could go on forever about it. Dad grew up there. Born in Garrett, KY. My son is named Garrett. Never knew where he was born until my Grandma asked if this is why we named him Garrett. Uncanny how that one worked out.

I never lived there but whenever we head down for the reunion it feels like I am going "home."

Dad has gotten back to his roots in the last decade or so. He builds and plays the dulcimer, leads groups, and teaches those wanting to learn. He has connected our family to "Fiddler Shade" and several other legendary bluegrass musicians.

It is really amazing how many folks migrated to Ohio from SE Kentucky. Not a lot of employment opportunities there in the 50's outside of the coal mines.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Amazing how much the house and lay-out of it on the property, reminds me of my grandparents house in WV.

There was a lot a swinging and shucking beans which took place on that porch.
That's how I spent many summers.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Old Hicks is an honorary hillbilly! lmao

Good stuff Phil. Nice to be able to trace the family roots back to where they are firmly planted.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Family history is a big deal Phil! You are indeed lucky to have people around that still can fill in pieces of history.
Usially, by the time most people start to ask questions, all the elders are passed away.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Phil for posting. Family history is amazing.
I had none of this info growing up as my parents never talked of it and I never asked. A cousin traced our family tree back to 1820's Germany. Then we found out a Aunt wrote a family account with pictures.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Family history is a big deal Phil! You are indeed lucky to have people around that still can fill in pieces of history.
Usially, by the time most people start to ask questions, all the elders are passed away.

Very true. I think next year at the reunion I am setting up my video camera and taking video of anyone willing to share a story. My great Aunt Dean answered some questions for me about some pictures she had sitting on a table during our reunion. For this information to be on video for future generations would be priceless.

Dulcimer1947

Your pictures turned out nice Phil. I'll bet you didn't know Uncle Worley's nickname was Hawkeye, due to his shooting skills. Also, "Fiddler Shade", a "great" grandfather of ours was a Civil War soldier who brought back a song from the battle at John's Creek near Prestonsburg, Ky. The song, "Brushy Fork of John's Creek" is still played by old-time fiddlers.

Dad

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
.Priceless stories. I could type all night recollecting stories from Grandma, my great aunts/uncles, parents, cousins, and friends of the family

Do your kids and future grand kids a favor and start typing. Don't have to do it all at once. You have a great start with this post.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Your pictures turned out nice Phil. I'll bet you didn't know Uncle Worley's nickname was Hawkeye, due to his shooting skills. Also, "Fiddler Shade", a "great" grandfather of ours was a Civil War soldier who brought back a song from the battle at John's Creek near Prestonsburg, Ky. The song, "Brushy Fork of John's Creek" is still played by old-time fiddlers.

Dad

I actually did know that one.

BTW- Welcome to TOO. . . . Dad. You might as well stick around and check out the fishing section. I think you would like it.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Very true. I think next year at the reunion I am setting up my video camera and taking video of anyone willing to share a story. My great Aunt Dean answered some questions for me about some pictures she had sitting on a table during our reunion. For this information to be on video for future generations would be priceless.

:smiley_chitchat:
See if there is an old Family Bible. I have seen some that have family trees hand writen in that are priceless. At the least you may be able to photograph those pages. Just another thought...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Ditto

Family history is priceless! It's nice to have your dad chime in. Welcome to TOO Larry!

Jim also brings up a great point about the Family Bible. I need to look in to that myself.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro

Dad

Welcome to the site 1947! Gotta be proud of that family story.....
Nice job Phil, nice job indeed.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Great stuff Phil and thanks for sharing. It is a very special thing to know your family heritage. Some of us will never know where are true roots come from.