Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broad head Recommendations

Ridge Runner

After reading the great write up about the Muzzy broad head, I am now thinking it may be time to switch brands. I have used mostly Muzzy for years with pretty great success. But after reading that the flight of them may not be great (Which would explain why I am pulling my hair out sometimes). I think there could be some room for improvement in my arsenal. So whats everyones recommendations. Please also explain why you like the particular broad head. I want to make an informed decision on which brand I choose. Also I am not a big fan of mechanical. Tried some a few years back and had a bad experience. Just feel its one more thing that could go wrong during flight. Thanks.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You will have to pry my slick trick magnums out of my dead hands. They fly true and blow open a golf ball sized hole. Never had a problem with bone or angles. They haven't given me a reason to switch.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I second the Slick Tricks. They haven't let me down yet. I have hit some bones as well. Never failed to have a pass thru with them. That said, before considering changing I would ask if you have had your bow tuned? I am not an archery expert by a long shot, but a few tweaks by someone can make a heckuva difference sometimes. Don't take this wrong. For all I know you could be a great tuner. I really don't know. Just saying, it seemed to help my groups a bunch.

Gordo

Athens County
After killing deer with muzzies and rages, ive landed on slick tricks.

I cant point to a single instance ive blamed the broad head for 'malfunction', but slick tricks give me good piece of mind/confidence.

They are simple, they fly great, and they are tough.

Ridge Runner

I second the Slick Tricks. They haven't let me down yet. I have hit some bones as well. Never failed to have a pass thru with them. That said, before considering changing I would ask if you have had your bow tuned? I am not an archery expert by a long shot, but a few tweaks by someone can make a heckuva difference sometimes. Don't take this wrong. For all I know you could be a great tuner. I really don't know. Just saying, it seemed to help my groups a bunch.
Yeah, I tune the bow. I can usually get my Hoyt where I want it. The fits come when I sight my dads xbow in before the season. I noticed there seems to be some variation between the heads. Its as if the tolerances aren't that tight. That being said if I can find something thats even better I'm all for it. I've heard great things about the Slick Tricks before. I tend to obsess about sighting gear in. If its not perfect I lose sleep over it. Preseason drives my wife nuts. If I'm having trouble with any of my stuff I can be a bit temperamental until it's perfect. Last years adventure was my Thompson BC ML. I must have spent $100 in powder and sabots sighting it in. Changed the rings on the scope and it was perfect.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah, I tune the bow. I can usually get my Hoyt where I want it. The fits come when I sight my dads xbow in before the season. I noticed there seems to be some variation between the heads. Its as if the tolerances aren't that tight. That being said if I can find something thats even better I'm all for it. I've heard great things about the Slick Tricks before. I tend to obsess about sighting gear in. If its not perfect I lose sleep over it. Preseason drives my wife nuts. If I'm having trouble with any of my stuff I can be a bit temperamental until it's perfect. Last years adventure was my Thompson BC ML. I must have spent $100 in powder and sabots sighting it in. Changed the rings on the scope and it was perfect.

Are you cocking the crossbow by hand? The variation may be coming from the string not being loaded behind the release in the exact spot each time.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Are you cocking the crossbow by hand? The variation may be coming from the string not being loaded behind the release in the exact spot each time.

Makes all the differance in the world.... Much like an anchor point with your compound....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been a Slick Trick guy got a few years now and love them. I did order some Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades this year. Bad little heads for sure.

Ridge Runner

No. I bought him a cocking rope. He bought one of those Horton TRT Ultralites. I did't like cocking by hand at all. So I went and got one of those Horton cocking straps. It makes a world of difference. Also if anyone is looking for a xbow I would recommend that thing. It's a little loud but I got it quieted down quite a bit with limb savers. When sighted in properly it's nasty accurate. I had to put a foam target in front of my block to keep from shooting through it. It's actually pretty nice. I know he likes it. I had had to drag out a couple deer after he got done with them. The more I think about it...taking my old man hunting is a lot of work. Lol

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No. I bought him a cocking rope. He bought one of those Horton TRT Ultralites. I did't like cocking by hand at all. So I went and got one of those Horton cocking straps. It makes a world of difference. Also if anyone is looking for a xbow I would recommend that thing. It's a little loud but I got it quieted down quite a bit with limb savers. When sighted in properly it's nasty accurate. I had to put a foam target in front of my block to keep from shooting through it. It's actually pretty nice. I know he likes it. I had had to drag out a couple deer after he got done with them. The more I think about it...taking my old man hunting is a lot of work. Lol

I would second both of these. Bought one for my son. Shoots wicked mean. Straight thru targets. Not much fun to cock by hand either.

Glad you didn't take my initial post wrong. Sounds like you are ahead of me in the tuning department. I just knew that could make a difference. Now I am nervous because I bought some Muzzy broadheads for my son's Ultralite. He may end up shooting Slicks out of it as well.

Tiny

I am a fan of the Boss Bullet because the flight is perfect, even out of bows that are not perfectly tuned. The Trocar tip is perfectly made every time and the blades are rock solid. I have shot many deer and hogs with these heads over the years and they have always performed up to my expectations.
Price is low average for broadheads now-a-days. In testing over the last 10years, the Boss did better on penetration when compared to all other broadheads with the exception of the 85grn. Magnus Stinger.... and that was a very close comparison. The 85grn Stinger is a 7/8" cut, so IMO thats why it did better than the Boss as opposed to a design type being the deciding factor.

Very good head for you to consider.

Last edited: