Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Video vs Pictures

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Was just wondering how many of you use the video mode vs the picture mode? I have been using the video mode exclusively for most of the time I've had the cameras and was just sitting here thinking too optimize the batteries and keep my trips too the sites at a minimum I just might go back too picture mode.....

What's everyone's opinion on doing this? Is it worth it or just leave it on video? I might drop it down too 15 seconds I've been using the 30 second video too catch more of the deer coming through for longer too get a good view of them.....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
For years I only used picture mode however in the last 2 years I have been going 80% video and 20%-picture. For me, it shows me more about the "personality" of the subjects. I like the picts. more for keepsakes or "quality" but I def. learn more from the video.
30 second clips,Lithium batteries once a year swap and the largest card the unit (Bushnell) can handle.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I like to use still shots mostly. Although, once November comes around, I use the video mode on scrapes. When I do use still mode, I set it on 2-3 burst at one minute intervals.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
This time of year its purely pictures..... come Late Aug-Sept I switch to video on the cameras that are showing big bucks. I like to pattern them after checking the card to see where they're bedding on certain winds. Love Video during late season as well for the same reason on food sources.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm about 50/50 these days I was 100% pictures until I bought my SpyPoints with the audio. There is something about being able to see their posture and hear what is going on around the cam. The only pictures I really take any more are over bait/minerals.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Depends on what I have coming into the cam. If there is a good one coming in on a regular basis I'll put it on video mode to learn more about his travel routes. Other than that mainly pictures...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The only thing I have a problem on video is the card fills up quicker.... Lots of birds bugs and other non game stuff... Had two camera out for two weeks and they went full in 6 days and lost the last six....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Depends on the camera. When I had Spypoints I ran video. With the Trophy Cams I go picture only. Over minerals I use one picture settings, but in open areas/travel routes I put it on the three picture burst.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah I run a 4G card as well, I'm either switching back too photos or reducing the time too 15 seconds too reduce the number of trips in too Check them.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Video is pretty priceless, IMO. The pictures are nice, but you learn so much more about the deer when running cams on video. Deciphering travel routes is just one benefit of video. I actually learned the hard way how piss poor my scent control was during later summer last season. I made the mistake of setting a cam without going in scent free... Only to find out that 90% of the deer that walked by that cam pinpointed its location and immediately bugged-out.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You can't beat video if you wanna see what's happening. I'll run 'em in 12 sec video lengths with a quick reload, but I run 50/50 as well anymore. With the improvement of rapid firing cameras anymore, I guess I have the best of both worlds. I like to hang my cams high aiming downward if I can.

Last edited: