Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Strawberry Wine

Buckmaster

Portage
The beginning.....From 20 pounds of strawberries to strawberry must in the crock set to ferment.
In one year, we'll have some quality strawberry wine.

Attachments

• Strawberries.jpg
    Strawberries.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Must.jpg
    Must.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 163

Buckmaster

Portage
After letting the must sit for 24 hours I added 4 gallons of water, 15 pounds of sugar, and some yeast.
It's bubbling now so the yeast is eating the sugars and turning them into alcohol. It will sit this way for a week until the fermentation subsides. Then, its off to rack for the first time.

Attachments

• Wine.jpg
    Wine.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 153

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Been making wine for 12 yrs. now. It's rather easy. Getting ready to make a 20 gallon batch of blueberry wine out of canned pie filling. Got the filling at a flea market in one gallon cans.
I'll dig my simple wine recipe book out if anyone's interested. Hell if your are in a real hurry 7-10 days you can drink it. Better if racked off couple times to clear it up. It also mellows with time. Just like us old farts.

Forgot to mention I use a new 10 gallon plastic waste basket for small batches and a 30 gallon plastic food grade barrel for large batches. The plastic cantainers only have to be new once then just clean good with bleach water.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd love to make my own wine. I may have to do this sometime. My mom has a couple old crocks that look just like Ben's and one was actually a wine crock.

Buckmaster

Portage
You can get the kids, neighbors, etc. to help you try. Wash, then freeze. When you get enough you can make wine.

For a good fruity batch you need 3.5-5 pounds of fruit per gallon of wine.

A smaller batch size may aid your venture.

I may try to pick a gallons worth this weekend of raspberries. Depending on their output when I reach camp on Friday.