Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Binocular Comparison Vortex Diamondbacks vs Redfield Rebels

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
After purchasing a pair of Nikon Action 10x50 binoculars last spring, I thought my quest for a decent pair of glasses was over. I quickly realized that they were not what I was looking for, but decided to make due. The time is upon us, and I would like to get out and do some scouting, and with it, purchase a better pair of binos. Thanks to Don (Ricer), I decided to take a look at a pair of Diamondbacks in both 8 and 10x42's, and was very impressed with them. The price tag wasn't terrible, and they had all the features I was looking for in a reasonably priced set of optics. I had pretty much made up my mind that the Diamondbacks were going to be my next purchase, until I made a trip to Ripley yesterday to see some family. I decided to stop by The Great Outdoors and see what they had to offer. After talking with the man behind the counter, he convinced me to check out a pair of Redfield Rebels, and I have to say, I was extremely impressed.

All the specs were essentially the same as the Diamondbacks, but at a lower price ($60 to be exact). I was very impressed with the clarity of them next to the Nikon Monarchs, and the higher end Bushnells. They have all the same features as the Vortex, and also have a lifetime warranty, but the exception being that Vortex's warranty is essentially no questions asked. The attendant was telling me that Leupold bought Redfield and was trying to improve their image, literally, by building a quality optic at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately, they did not carry any Vortex Optics there, so I was unable to compare them side by side. I'm really torn about which pair I should buy. My gut is saying go with Vortex, but my wallet and eyes are saying go with Redfield. I've read many great reviews on the Diamondbacks, but there just aren't as many reviews out there on the Rebels. I was thinking about calling around to see if anyone carried them both, and maybe taking a roadtrip this weekend to compare them side by side, but was wondering if any of you had any experience with these binos? I know it's a long shot, but figured I'd at least get some opinions from you all.

Here are the specs for both optics.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-10x42-binocular

http://www.redfield.com/_media/downloads/Rebel_10x42mm.pdf

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll be watching this because I TOO need a new set of glass. I've been committed to the Vortex for a while and missed the boat on Don's eBay link, long story there. Since then I have been reconsidering.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'll be watching this because I TOO need a new set of glass. I've been committed to the Vortex for a while and missed the boat on Don's eBay link, long story there. Since then I have been reconsidering.

I'm seriously considering ordering a pair of Redfields from Bass Pro and taking them up to OVT to compare to the Vortex, then I can return the RF's if they don't match up.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I want to look at a set now. How much for the Rebels? Don't forget the Crossfires as they are cheaper and just as clear as the DB's to my eye.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I want to look at a set now. How much for the Rebels? Don't forget the Crossfires as they are cheaper and just as clear as the DB's to my eye.

I've found the Rebels for as low as $129 at Midway USA and Adorama (both places out of stock but back-orderable), but most places sell them for $150-160. I talked to a buddy that works at the Columbus Cabelas and he said they had both in stock right now. If you have some spare time, you should check them out!

Good to see you back around BTW, hope all is well with the youngin.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I've found the Rebels for as low as $129 at Midway USA and Adorama (both places out of stock but back-orderable), but most places sell them for $150-160. I talked to a buddy that works at the Columbus Cabelas and he said they had both in stock right now. If you have some spare time, you should check them out!

Thanks and I will report back.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Our local Dist. is out of stock on the Redfield Rebel 10x42. But they have them in PA but that would have to be shipped to Ohio.
The Redfield Rebel 8x32 is in stock at the local Dist. and require no shipping as we pick up. I think they have 4 in stock. Be about 120.00 and shipping to you.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redfield-Re...370841558398?pt=Binocular&hash=item5657e11d7e

Ricer2231

Not putting the Rebels down but, dies their warranty compare to the Virtex warranty? I don't know about the Rebel warranty but I do know the Vortex warranty is a lifetime repair or replace warranty. Might be worth the extra $40.00. That is Rebels compared to the Crossfires.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Not putting the Rebels down but, dies their warranty compare to the Virtex warranty? I don't know about the Rebel warranty but I do know the Vortex warranty is a lifetime repair or replace warranty. Might be worth the extra $40.00. That is Rebels compared to the Crossfires.

The Vortex warranty is definitely better. The Rebels have a limited lifetime warranty, but it isn't transferable, and it most definitely isn't no hassle like Vortex.

The warranty is a big plus, but I'm more concerned with glasses that are clear. I'm looking for the best glasses I can get for the money I'm looking to spend. I don't plan on destroying these binos, so long as I take care of them, any defects will be covered under the warranty with either pair.

Still not sure what I'm gonna do. Just wish there was a place close by that carried both.

Ricer2231

We could meet half way or something Greg and you could borrow my diamondbacks and see what ya think, when I get home. We aren't that far apart. I will be bringing them to the bow shoot TOO.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
We could meet half way or something Greg and you could borrow my diamondbacks and see what ya think, when I get home. We aren't that far apart. I will be bringing them to the bow shoot TOO.

I appreciate the offer Don. Ohio Valley Trader is 15 minutes from the house, and they carry the Vortex line, so that isn't an issue. Really, I just wanna see the two side by side before I make up my mind.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Redfield scopes are much improved but I still like Vortex better at the same price points. I haven't done a side by side like I have scopes. May be able to compare later tonight.

Ricer2231

I did the side by side because my brother has a pair if redfields. I really liked the clarity and contrast of the diamondbacks better, hands down. But to each their own.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I did the side by side because my brother has a pair if redfields. I really liked the clarity and contrast of the diamondbacks better, hands down. But to each their own.

Well, I'm leaning towards the Vortex now. A dealer on AT finally got back to me with a price of $210 shipped. I'm not a huge ebay fan, so I may just go ahead with these and be done with it.

Ricer2231

Well, I'm leaning towards the Vortex now. A dealer on AT finally got back to me with a price of $210 shipped. I'm not a huge ebay fan, so I may just go ahead with these and be done with it.

I don't know who the dealer is ya talked to but check with Southern Style Archery, boarman1. Super nice guy and super fast shipper. I ordered mine from him on Monday night and had them Friday. He just seemed like a top notch guy, answered questions within half an hour usually quicker and just gave me that feeling that ordering from him took all worries out of the equation, which it did. Check him out.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Looking forward to your final review.
Charles has me hooked on Vortex now but never say never...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good purchase Greg. After looking through TayTays down at Strouds, I have been craving a pair of Diamondbacks. Damn good glasses for the coin from what little I know of the subject...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Good purchase Greg. After looking through TayTays down at Strouds, I have been craving a pair of Diamondbacks. Damn good glasses for the coin from what little I know of the subject...

Thanks man, I'm still kicking myself in the ass for wasting my money on those cheap Nikons last year. Hope these serve me well.