Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

For all you trappers, identify this trap?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
My father-in-law was showing me this today, and asking if I had any idea what it was used for. I told him I had no idea, but that I knew some guys that probably would.

The last picture says Patent October 3 (or 8) 1878.

Any ideas what kind of trap it is and what/how it is used?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I used to dabble in looking at antique traps. I have never seen one of these. I will venture to say that thing is probably worth a chunk of change at the least. I am assuming it does still work. Will be looking forwards to hearing the outcome.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Looks like the wire in the middle is the trigger? Seems to me that it is and that is where the bait would be attached and buried so the animal would have it's foot in the middle of the jaws digging at the bait pulling the trip wire as it laid horizontal on the ground.

Bet to set that sucker took some muscle lol. Looks like it has a heck of a slam and with those teeth your not getting your leg back out lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My gramps had something smaller than that that went on the end of a pole. The trigger was a flat piece in the middle. It was used for grabbing frogs. That thing is way bigger though and trips differently.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've created an account over there, just waiting to be approved now. On the trigger mechanism, the wire is attached to a hinged bracket. a keeper is attached to the opposite side and swings across the back side of the trap, and the hinge bracket holds it in place. That wire would have to be pulled in towards the trap to trigger it. To me, it seems obvious it is some type of hanging trap, but other than that, I have no clue. If you were hanging bait from it, it would seem you would have to get real lucky for it to trigger and catch your prey, but I guess that's part of trapping.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No way it's a log puller. Not stout enough for that. And they're not spring loaded with a trigger.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Only other way to find out for sure is to take a lot of time and look it up in the patten archives for that year.

I have yet to find anything even close to this trap. I agree, It's no log puller. Might be a very rare and only a few made that will make it almost impossible to find out what kind of trap it is unless you do spend the time and effort to look in the books.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Only other way to find out for sure is to take a lot of time and look it up in the patten archives for that year.

I have yet to find anything even close to this trap. I agree, It's no log puller. Might be a very rare and only a few made that will make it almost impossible to find out what kind of trap it is unless you do spend the time and effort to look in the books.

I had thought about that Adam. With it having an exact date shown, it may be possible to find it.

The only trap I could find that was relatively close was a fish trap, but even with them, the trigger mechanism pulls straight down between the clamps