Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

what is it about labs?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Dont get me wrong, I love scrappy, our yellow lab. He is loyal, smart, great with the young grandkids, loving... an all around good dog. But he has got to be, hands down, the most shittingest, fartingest dog i have ever been around. As i understand it, its not just him either. labs are known to be able to clear a room with their farts. i thank god he is housebroken, but after mowing the lawn today, i think i need to teach him to go out behind the shed or something.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
With all you guys that have labs what are you feeding them? Too much filler? Curious too see if there's something common on them?

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Dont get me wrong, I love scrappy, our yellow lab. He is loyal, smart, great with the young grandkids, loving... an all around good dog. But he has got to be, hands down, the most shittingest, fartingest dog i have ever been around. As i understand it, its not just him either. labs are known to be able to clear a room with their farts. i thank god he is housebroken, but after mowing the lawn today, i think i need to teach him to go out behind the shed or something.

Haha, first thing I thought , was you mowing the yard. Slinging shit everywhere, you having a manure spreader for a dog. Lmao.
I have heard that labs have that problem with gas.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Sometimes they just walked up to you and farted for the fun of it

yeah! You can almost see the grin on his face.

i feed my dogs Diamond brand foods. normally lamb and rice.

yeah pretty much. I've also learned to wear my old tennis shoes with the soles almost smooth. Anything with a tread is a bad idea in that yard.
was you mowing the yard. Slinging shit everywhere, you having a manure spreader for a dog.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Timber's not a lab, but it seems that the only time he gets gas is when he eats something other than his normal food. Like if he gets some table scraps or if I try to switch food brands up on him. I feed him middle shelf food. Not the most expensive bag off the shelf, not the least expensive either. Make sure the food your dogs are getting isn't full of filler junk. This is also a factor in the size of the lawn sausages your dogs will leave behind. Better quality food has more nutrients that get processed by the dog, leaving less waste to pick up.

In the end though, some dogs are just gassy. Our golden (Buck) was and I had him on the same food as Timber. It was like clock work with Buck, every time he'd start up the stairs he'd rip ass. When it was time to go to bed at night, you'd want to make sure you were in front of him, or else you'd get a mouthful. lmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think it's got more to do with the food they're being fed. I can count on one hand how many times my lab has farted. She's on a "no filler" food and has been since she was 8 weeks old.

But yes, I've been around some rotten smelling labs before!!! lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I feed Remi Old Roy. I know there's much better food, but he's a dog. Hard for me to shell out big money for food if he's just my sidekick.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Bella the basset has a skin allergy and can't eat food with fillers as it'll give her huge hotspots. She's been on them all. From blue buffalo, to innova and the list goes on. For a while now she's been on iams no grain chicken and rice. Se doesn't fart as much and her coat smells better. Most dog foods have grain fillers like corn. They can't process it which results in more crap.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I feed Remi Old Roy. I know there's much better food, but he's a dog. Hard for me to shell out big money for food if he's just my sidekick.

thats what we used to feed them but he started getting the hotspots like joe is describing. We talked to the guy at the pet supply store and he explained it like this, " Dog food like Iams, or bil jac is like taking your dog to a really expensive restaurant. old roy is like giving them mcdonalds. Middle of the road foods like diamond are along the lines of bob evans or applebees" We cant afford the top of the line stuff, but i guess my dogs like bob evans as much as i do. It has done wonders for his hotspots too.