Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

There goes the Bacon

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seen this on MSN and wondered if anybody had heard of anything near them. I have one of the states largest hog farms not far away and did not hear of this issue but I am out of the farming loop these days.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/outbreak-deadly-piglet-virus-spreads-13-states-6C10378085

A swine virus deadly to young pigs, one never before seen in North America, is spreading rapidly across the United States and proving harder to control than previously believed.

PEDV was diagnosed earlier this month for the first time in Arkansas, Kansas and Pennsylvania. Previously, the virus had been found in barns in Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Dakota.

Huckleberry Finn

You can't lose pigs you don't have! They had a barn burn back in Nov...real nasty...

Hords like a lot of other huge producers farm our their piglets so I'm sure that would go a long way in preventing the (massive) spread of disease. They run a good operation up there.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
You can't lose pigs you don't have! They had a barn burn back in Nov...real nasty...

Hords like a lot of other huge producers farm our their piglets so I'm sure that would go a long way in preventing the (massive) spread of disease. They run a good operation up there.

Forgot about that barn that burned. Your right, they do farm out the piglets but if an infected truck goes from one farm to the next they could still have a good die off. However, they have been around for years and didn't get as big as they are now by being stupid.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
RedCloud do you know or have you heard of the Brown family, they have a big pig farm in eastern ohio. They are family friends. Thought you might know them since they have a pretty big operation.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
RedCloud do you know or have you heard of the Brown family, they have a big pig farm in eastern ohio. They are family friends. Thought you might know them since they have a pretty big operation.

Doesn't ring any bells. How far east are they? Sure I have been in their neck of the woods at one time or another.