Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How did you spend your Father's Day? Any surprising gifts?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Let's here it guys. How many of you were spoiled today? Any surprise gifts? Special meals?

My day started with a Happy Father's Day phone call from my daughter who is vacationing with her best friend's family in Myrtle Beach. Next was breakfast which consisted of french toast and cream of wheat Erin makes from scratch. Maybe not "scratch" but it doesn't come in a box. Good stuff.

Next she asked what I wanted to do. She said we could do anything I wanted. So I took a nap and skipped church. When her and the kids got back she said "Okay. Here is what is happening: At 3 your dad is coming over to fish with you and the kids. Then my parents and your parents are eating dinner here. Next. . . ." Finally I asked "Where is the 'we can do whatever you want part going to fit in?'"

Soooo. . . . .I had three guys that wanted to work today. I okayed the OT and they took me up on it, so I had to get them rolling. Then I put together a tree stand and some climbing sticks. Loaded the truck and hauled the family to a hunting property. Hung one stand and checked on two others. I also hung two cameras in areas I normally do but I did so a bit differently. I had some screw in steps which accept a camera. Basically a camera bracket which looks like a screw in step. I mounted two of them up high and aimed them downward. Hoping to see a better field of view and find less spooked bucks. Time will tell.

Now Erin and my Mom are making dinner and I am relaxing. Dad is in my barn messing with his dirt bike. Yes. You read it correct. lol 65yrs old and 6yrs after his quadruple by-pass he is ready to get back on his bike! After dinner with my parents, Erin's parents, and her brother and his family, Dad and I are going fishing. Fishing after dinner without the kids will be more enjoyable than 3 in the afternoon in the heat.

Surprises? Erin bought me the mack daddy of gravity chairs. Her and the kids also made me a poster board card with candy bars taped to it. It worked the names of the candy bars into a little story about how I was the best Dad ever. Very clever and cute!

I hope you all enjoyed your Father's Day. We have a ton of great fathers on this website and you all deserve a great day. Hope you new dads had a great one!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I made a big breakfast for the family and then took a nice nap. My older son and I went float tubing and now we're out for dinner.

Ricer2231

My youngins were born 22 years ago and exactly 7 minutes apart and there is no experience quite like twins. :) As I said earlier in the other thread my son had to work today so we spent the whole day yesterday together celebrating Father's Day. I began my day being treated with a round of golf, followed by lunch and finishing off the day with a trip to Buckeye Outdoors. It was a great day and it was awesome getting to spend the entire day together.
My daughter also took me golfing today, once she got free this afternoon. She also surprised me with a dozen Titleist Pro V1 balls! If ya remember she just had shoulder surgery 5 weeks ago to have her labrum repaired,a bone spur removed, and bursitis cleaned up in her shoulder. She went out today and played the men's tees with me and shot 75 for her first 18 holes since surgery. That's 4 over par. Needless to say she kicked my ass and even better it seems her shoulder is healing very well. It was another great day and nothing beats quality time with your kids. It's good to be a dad!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Just spent the best part of the day outside in the peace and quiet...love my kids but love my peace and quiet too.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Worked all day, but came home to a new Dewalt Drill and Impact Driver, as well as a new golf bag! Completely overboard, but greatly appreciated!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Spent the day with the mother of my children and my lovely bride.... Went too a friends sons graduation party and now just kicking back and relaxing.... Talked too both my children.... Life is good...

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Made breakfast for everyone. Played with the kids and then Landon and I went and pulled a camera that I hung the first week of last Nov. That Spypoint was still running and snapping pics over 7 months later. Came home and grilled up some backstraps for dinner.

I got some home made gifts from the kids and an ice cream cake.

Slept in and had a big breakfast this morning. Then had my mom and sister over for dinner with us. Was a good day as my sister just made it up from Atlanta yesterday and the kids hadn't seen her in quite a while. Had a big dinner with hamburgers, ribs and corn on the cob.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
What a great day. I'm blessed. Started off with french toast, fresh fruit, and coffee. Then off to church with the family followed by lunch at Old Bag of Nails. Spent the afternoon teaching my daughter to ride her bike without training wheels & then watching a movie with the kids while catching a little nap until little fingers started poking my face. Steak, corn on the cob & taters for supper. Gift wise I demanded that they buy nothing, but as usual, they didn't listen. Got a framed picture (I like pictures) and a book (Happy, Happy, Happy by Phil Robertson). Time to go sit down and do some reading.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Had a really big Father's Day. My oldest son Ben graduated from Stanford with his Masters in Electrical Engineering. Absolutely a beautiful day . Finishing up with dinner overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

loose_is_fast

McClure
went golfing at Birch Run golf course in North Baltimore ,fathers day special 18 holes 33 bucks free hat and a bonus 18 holes greens fee. Can't beat that deal. Came home watched the nascar race, had a squirt gun fight with my daughter then cooked out and finished the day with horseshoes and a camp fire with pudgee pies and marsh mellows with my sister and brother in law and kids.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like we have some very fortunate fathers here. I was lucky enough to sneak off with my dad for a little fishing until we couldn't see anymore. I caught the first fish. I caught the biggest fish. I caught the most fish as well. Too bad I caught the only fish. Even worse, it was a baby crappie about as long as my index finger. Should have left it on as bait. Lmao

Good fishing or bad fishing doesn't matter. Quality time with Dad cant be bought at the store.

I must say Sam might have us all beat. Not everyday you can witness such a proud moment on fathers day. Then again you all sounded like you had a great day! Happy for you all!

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Slept in this morning. Only gift I got lol

Spent the afternoon at one of the FIL houses for lunch and we decided to skip the other FIL's house (thank God)

Came home and was so bored I took a late nap. Nothing I wanted to do was done today. Maybe next year.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My brother and I took my dad out to breakfast at the shady rest army/navy, he bought 5 pull tickets and won $50. Then I came home and took a 3 hour nap. I did get a nice scrapbook page from my girlfriends daughter who I consider mine as well. It had a picture of her and I on My quad and she drew trees and had deer stickers stuck on it. She has never met her dad because he is a flat out douche bag so I'm the one she looks up to and I have no problem with it!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just hung out with the family. Went to the in laws for awhile then with my side of the family later on.

Played catch with the kids in the front yard before dark.

No gifts, we just spent too much getting a roof on our deck. Plus, still paying the quad off. Lol

Just glad to have my loved ones in my life.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Slept in and woke up to a nice breakfast waiting for me. Watched 30 minutes of the news on TV and relaxed. Went out and did some yard and garden work till the in laws started showing up for a Fathers Day get together. Had burgers,brats and dogs off the grill along with baked beans and Mac.

My daughters each made their own special Fathers Day cards for me as well. Those along with just spending a nice relaxing day with my family at home made my FD a blessed and special one.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This was my first Fathers Day and it was a good one! Slept in a little, then met my buddy at the farm to hang cams, pick a couple stand sites and clear some access routes. Then I spent the afternoon with the wife and kid. Great dinner at Leghorns in Athens, then spent some time with my dad. Home to watch the last hour of the US Open on DVR and an early bed time. Great day!