Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Magnus 100 grain - test from 2006

Tiny

Here is a test I did in 2006 and it was done with traditional equipment. There was a question not long ago about what broadhead should I use, so I figured I would put this post up here since this is one of the heads I recommended at that time.

Hope you enjoy it :)

Blade retention:

As in all the tests before....the 100gr. stinger passed with flying colors , managing to continue cutting through the grid up until shot #15.

For those who do not already know.....the test is done by shooting the head into a Rhinehart target and then running through a grid of rubber bands until the heads edge finally gives way to the dulling of the target and therefore passes without cutting all bands of which it comes in contact with.

I consider 21 to be excellent ,15 to be very good and 7 poor although a one shot pass is still a pass.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flight:

First Pic is of a typical group at 25yrds.
(a group of 30 arrows were shot and this was the norm group)

Next was the 30 yard shot:

Now this was more like it

I hate.....No wait!....

I H A T E !!!!!!! POOR FLIGHT!

Nothing will drive me nuts like trying to shoot a head that will not track or group or just basically do what it is that I ask it to do

It was nice to get back to an old faithful like the lighter weight Stingers of the past

Now 40 yards:

My own group was a bit off but none the less they were kill shots

Big Pass
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiny

Next was the Board:

The head survived without damage but did not make the pass through which seems to be nothing new this season

The bleeder blades got about 1/3rd of the way into the block and that was it.

Pass
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next was the Phone book:

Surprise!

The slim profile ate up the resistance and stopped the stinger from making a total pass through.

The rear of the blade made it 85% of the way through with the forward tip clearing the book in total.

This is not a Pass or Fail and is rated 8.5 on the rear of the test as an indicator when comparing other heads penetration potential.
Now for the Shoulder:

The entrance and exit holes were (as is the norm with the stinger) small but the penetration was total.

Here are the photo's of the Stinger afterwords.

More than the 66% of the edge was left in perfect condition which is the standard for a pass.

The worst area of damage was the forward edge of a bleeder blade.

Conclusion?.......PASS

....If you want a competitive edge for the Stinger look no further than a lifetime unconditional warranty.

I even turned in a few myself some time ago just to see what would happen.

Three days in total after their arrival at Magnus, I had the new heads back in my hands.

Something to keep in the back of your mind

Huckleberry Finn

Every Stinger I've put in a deer has translated into a deer in my freezer - hopefully keep that streak going.

They are big, sold heads that cut nice holes. Their unconditional warranty works well after you screw up the bleeder.

Hunter II

I like both the stingers and buzz cuts. It's hard to get pass-thrus when they're bedded down though.
buzzcut.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great review man. Just more confirmation on why I should keep shooting Stinger 150's... not that I really needed it. They spin true from the factory, have superior flight, are razor sharp and incredibly tough. Why shoot anything else???

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
JB and Flutie influenced me along with this review. Just ordered a pack of Buzzcut 4-blades in 125. I'll add one more broadhead to my list of kills this fall with any luck!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Many a deer and even a caribou have fallen to my arrow tipped with a 150 grain Stinger. The only issue I have is that more often than not their blood trails aren't great. Regardless that is what I'm using in Idaho this September.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Another great review Tiny! I might have to give them a try!

Your groupings were very nice considering you were shooting with trad equipment!