Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Well I guess I got some activists angry.

Ridge Runner

So I posted yesterday about the kitty culling in the news. Well I got sucked into the debate after reading some of the comments. Over time I noticed that people who were commenting had no idea about the details of the article. The people that did the most bashing knew almost nothing about the facts. So I decided to do a little experiment. I created a petition that asked the ODOW to allow the hunting of feral cats in Ohio. I then posted it in the comments section of the article. I wanted to know how many people would sign the petition without reading it. In the first 24 hours I had 7 signatures. 5 of those came from people who were against the shooting and bashed me for defending the officer. These people actually signed a petition without reading it. Heres a link to the petition. http://www.change.org/petitions/ohio-division-of-wildlife-allow-hunting-of-feral-cats Now I realize some may find this in poor taste but I was curious about the outcome.
It was the next day while during a little research on feral cats. That I noticed my petition and my name had gone global. A couple animal rights groups picked up on the petition and began lambasting me. Naturally I took the time to respond to their concerns. I have to say, I knew these people were a little wacko but I underestimated just how far gone from reality they really were. Here's a link to a particularly nasty bunch. http://pictures-of-cats.org/Petition-To-Allow-Hunting-of-Feral-Cats-in-Ohio.html#comment-59131
I realize some may think I went a bit far with this and I get that. But I am curious what people in my community think of this.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Don't have time to read everything now but good for you for poking them a little.

Did you happen to tell them AR15s are the perfect feral cat rifle?

Ridge Runner

No. I tried to be a responsible outdoorsman. The last thing I wanted to do was stoop to their level. I failed a couple times though. One woman (Caroline) was insane. There were so may things I wanted to say but I hated to shed a bad light on us. I'm hoping if someone that might be on the fence on the issue read the posts they would see we are articulate and thoughtful. Then see that they are crazy fanatics. BTW..by the time I was done. I wanted to see what my Savage 7mm would do to a feral kitty.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I think the petition was hilarious, in a sad, sad way. Amazing what people will sign without reading.

Yes, Caroline was a witch, but it's easy to be a bad-azz when you are hiding behind a computer screen.

For whatever reason, there seems to be a mentality among some, that "coming to the aid of helpless animals" is a good thing, no matter what type of animal we are speaking of. It could be a pitt bull that attacked a young child, and certain people will still rush to the dog's defense. Personally, I call 'em idiots!

As for the feral cats themselves, shoot 'em all. My DIL lived here for awhile and since I am allergic to cats, her housecats had to live outside. I saw the damage they caused. Opened my front door one evening to a puddle of blood and remains of a baby bunny. I also beat one of the other cats with a broom for the chipmunk it was torturing.

Seeing how those "fed canned cat food" cats were, I can't imagine how much destruction a feral one would cause. They're fair game in my book.

Ridge Runner

Here are few of my personal favorites from the wews news comment section.
GeorgeMMelby
I would suggest that Accorti be hanged AND neutered for playthings for other little "kitties" to play with! Really bad move, Barry. And you're a policeman/law enforcement officer? I thought your professional field expected common sense and intelligence as strong points! And LE wonders why the general public no longer respects them?! This is a start!
2 Days Ago · Flag · Like · Reply
George signed my petition

GretchenGipson
Shooting an animal is is no way part of the job description for a HUMANE officer. Feral cats should be spayed and neutered to prevent overpopulation. The kittens could have easily been rescued and socialized by one of many rescue groups. Anyone who could ruthlessly shoot an animal, especially a defenseless kitten, has some serious mental issues and should not be representing the area. This is one of the most disgusting things I have heard in a long time. Even more disgusting is the attitude that this is acceptable. If you want to do something to help instead of ignoring the problem, SPAY & NEUTER. Killing an animal is in no way a form of population control. That mother is probably pregnant again already. Educate yourself, and make a difference.
2 Days Ago · Flag · Like · Reply
Gretchen signed my petition also.

MirellaN.Tomaro
Ben... go swallow a bullet..why don't you?... the world would be a much better place..seriously. Just do us all a favor.

Sweet lady

CharleneWinkler
I think that was so inhumane that the officier shot those kittens. He should be shot. The humane society would have given them an injection to euthanize them which the kittens would not have felt any pain, compared to a gun shot which would have been painful. I think that officer deserves no pay. I would hope your communitiy would see to him being dismissed from his position.
PatriciaFabianAllen likes this.
Save the kittens. Kill the cop.

Here's the link for a rainy day
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...e-kittens-outside-house-with-residents-nearby

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Lol. Love it. Fuck em. They're idiots. That's the problem with arguing with emotional twits. They don't have any common sense and let emotion cloud judgement.

Ridge Runner

Oh and I can't leave out sweet Caroline from http://pictures-of-cats.org/Petition-To-Allow-Hunting-of-Feral-Cats-in-Ohio.html#comment-59131

Caroline on June 13, 2013 at 9:32 pm said:
What exacatly is your purrsonality, is what I want to know. …?
Who the hell do you think you ARE? nichts.

Reply ↓
Caroline on June 14, 2013 at 1:58 am said:
“. I don’t really care if people hunt feral cats or not. I hunt.”

You, perhaps, Ben (where do you live–too chicken to give any information about yourself?–what is your full name. Hmmm? Can’t reveal?

You are nothing more than a low-life , Redneck, slimy human who has no business living on this planet. I eat rednecks like you for lunch. The only lunch that is I truly relish. let’s see if I can’t find you.

Caroline on June 13, 2013 at 9:38 pm said:
Oh, boy. I’m getting feisty. Just ask Elisa. hmm. Let’s see. I’m in my cat mode…

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some of those responses are scary. I agree with J. They sounded threatening to me.

There is a lady who has rescues and such here locally. While I find this noble and kind, there is a fine line between caring and obsessed. She puts out houses and feeds them. She puts them on other peoples property. These people then instruct me to remove them because it is bringing in more cats to their properties which makes their plazas look dumpy and unkept. Next thing you know I am getting phone calls about why I was stealing her houses and food bowls she bought. Long story short: Not a fun phone call. I gave her the number to the property owners. Don't lecture me because you are littering on their property with food bowls and houses which enables better health for the cats and MORE litters of cats to be born without homes.

Don't get me wrong, I realize these cats are homeless. I realize they don't have great nutrition. Attracting them to someone else's property without permission and aiding in their multiplication is taking it a bit far in my opinion. How would you like to be a tenant in one of these plazas dealing with rampant feral cats? Some of the tenants run restaurants or grocery stores. Doesn't look good to their customers. I am not saying to shoot them, but creating a cat habitat without permission doesn't seem like a great plan to me.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
If a cat comes through while I'm in my stand, and it doesn't have a collar on, it gets an arrow.

one thing about activists, it isn't hard to get them riled up. If you try to play nice, you just piss them off even more. Fugg em, cant make everybody happy.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
A guy at work traps them in his yard and then gets them spayed or neutered for $25 and then let's them go again. Not something I'd waste my money on, but that's cool for him.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Ridge next time you talk to your cat-lovin' antagonists, don't forget to use the words "disposable" and "expendable" in regards to the cats