Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Strange Sounds in the Backyard

Big H

Medina
So for the past week, we have been hearing a screeching/whistle type sound in the backyard and I have been trying to figure out what the hell it was... I thought it was a screech owl, but it just didn't sound right. My youngest and I went back yesterday and couldn't see anything but could still hear the noise. Yesterday morning a couple of crows were going crazy just outside the bedroom window. I actually taped the sounds on my phone and was going to ask you guys what you thought it was and then this morning I found out.

The noise was right in the backyard, close to the house, and when I looked outside, there were two owls sitting on top of the kid's swing set. They were juvenile Great Horned Owls! Pretty cool, only bad thing was that none of the girls were home to see them. They were there for a couple of hours, before they flew to the back. Hopefully we will see them again. I got a couple of pictures and will load them up later.

The noise sounded similar to a hawk, and when I looked up pics on the web, I also checked out vocalizations. They didn't have the ear tufts, so I wasn't sure at first what they were. They are probably working over the rabbit and chipmunk population in the backyard. :smiley_coolpeace:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Pretty cool too both see and hear them... I usually enjoy them from the tree stand but we get one every once in a while in town too lessen the population of black squirrels around the neighborhood .... I used too have a owl call and wood mess with them lol

My neighbors would just shake their heads lol

Big H

Medina
I have heard barred owls and adult owls back there every once in awhile, but these sounds threw me for a loop. LOL I found some scat with bones in the driveway next to the barn yesterday.

Big H

Medina
They are back there now screeching. They must be hungry, I looked up juvenile great horned owl sounds on the web and the noise they are making is when they are begging for food.

Attachments

• owls.jpg
    owls.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 175

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very neat pic Ron. I really admire the stealth and hunting prowlness of all owls. They are one of my favorite birds of prey. Screech owls and barred owls calling to each other while I'm perched in a tree while deer hunting is one of the things I enjoy experiencing.

Huckleberry Finn

That's an amazing picture!

I'd go find some live mice at a pet store and let 'em out your back door to really make things interesting!