Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New shocks for the truck...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been noticing that my 2006 Ford F150 has been riding rougher and I know I need to start looking at getting some new shocks installed. I have 100,770 miles on the originals and I'm just wanting some input from the TOO family as to where to go to have new ones put on and not get screwed in the process.

I'm going to have them all switched out. What is a fair price? What brand is best! Where should I go to have it done? Any other input not mentioned is appreciated as well.

Thanks in advanced...:smiley_coolpeace:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I've been noticing that my 2006 Ford F150 has been riding rougher and I know I need to start looking at getting some new shocks installed. I have 100,770 miles on the originals and I'm just wanting some input from the TOO family as to where to go to have new ones put on and not get screwed in the process.

I'm going to have them all switched out. What is a fair price? What brand is best! Where should I go to have it done? Any other input not mentioned is appreciated as well.

Thanks in advanced...:smiley_coolpeace:
i would get a couple jack stands and a jack and do it myself. if you have front coil over's i would just see if you can but the entire package and not mess with the springs. its 4 bolts really and you are done. you may need an impact gun for the bottom bolt since it sees the majority of the road salt and grime but it is an easy project for sure.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree with Milo. Super easy. You can borrow a tool from any auto parts store for the strut spring assembly. But like Milo said just buy the assembly it's not much more expensive and easier to replace as a whole. I put Rancho adjustable shocks on my truck. You can adjust them from really soft off-road to very stiff highway. If I remember correctly they were only about 200 bucks or so. Once you settle on a model of shock let us know and I'll help you find the best deal online

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No brainer. If he has a lift he probably has anything else which "could" give you an issue. Only thing I could think of which might be a pain is the nut not coming off. They can rust in place pretty good. Nothing a torch can't heat up and take care of.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Like Phil said you can heat up the stubborn ones but spray them all down with some break free style penetrating fluid too make it a little easier....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've made a few calls checking out pricing and options. The front coils look fine but I don't know if I should replace them too. Any advise about them?

Auto Zone near by can order a set of Bilsteins(4600 series) or I could get a set of Gabriel Ultras that carry a lifetime warranty for less. Kinda on the fence. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Which ones are comparable to OEM? If you got 100k+ miles out of the factory shocks then maybe just buy something similar. Monroe has a good name too.