Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Worm turning...a long time coming

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Today was a very welcome and justifying day for me and my efforts to reintroduce a reliable dpod source for the wildflife around my home. Ohio is cursed in my opinion especially in my area when the forest was was cleared for ag and timbered for investment. I started this plan about 10 years or so ago mainly on my own with little guidance. Thanks to the internet and my quest to complete my goal, i have some vindication today that makes it all worth it. uploadfromtaptalk1370899261053.jpguploadfromtaptalk1370899276910.jpgthese little blossoms are the start of what i hope will be a long term supply of persimmons. This tree started out as an 18 inch bare root treeand spent its first 4 years protected in its grow tree tube. I have found about 20 blossoms which should bear fruit this fall. Another surprise where these little fellas alsouploadfromtaptalk1370899492950.jpg these are the beginnings of gobbler sawtooth acorns. I found a hearty supply of these today on my trees. I have waited about 10 years for these also. Again very rewarding to see them begin to support the local critters.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Also i am pleased to see the pear trees surviving the late frosts we had this year. Some of my trees were not that fortunate. uploadfromtaptalk1370899704021.jpg. I know there has been some dicussion on where to buy fruit trees from and im happy to report that big lots kick ass. These trees are on year 2 of transplanting and are bearing fruit. Cant ask for more than that.uploadfromtaptalk1370899823233.jpguploadfromtaptalk1370899837245.jpg

Big H

Medina
Good deal! The gobbler sawtooths we planted started producing at 8 years old and havent stopped since. They are 12 years old now.

Attachments

• gobbler sawtooth oaks 11 years old.jpg
    gobbler sawtooth oaks 11 years old.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 129

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i cant stress enough that you cannot just plant a tree and forget about it for a year. you need to stay involved and see if it needs some help here and there. this has been a labor of love for sure. i almost check my trees daily. my chestnut trees this year were getting attacked by ants and if i had not checked on them i would have been in some serious trouble. big a+ to tree tubes for sure. they let you spray round up around the base without fear of hitting the tree and keeps the deer nibbling to a minimum

Ricer2231

I know where you are coming from bud. Dad had a few pear trees and it was a constant job just to get them to produce. You definitely gotta love doing it because it is very demanding.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Those are looking good Milo! I've got plans to plant some fruit trees over the next few years, as well as some cedar and some pine. We've got plenty of oaks around home.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
May have to hire you next year! I want to add some persimmon, pear and apple. The next year some oaks that can take wetter soil. I am clearing out the wet area of my parents this winter with the dozer.

Buckmaster

Portage
Nice trees there Eric and Ron.

My sawtooths all died but my pear, apple, persimmon (now 7-8 footers) , and paw paw are all well.

Try growing apples from seeds. Mine are now 3 year olds.