Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dandelion controll ?

Well I want to get rid of them
But.............
I want to save the clover in the yard

As I planted some of it
Also the bee's love it

I know , I know
Probely not as easy as I would like

Any simple way ?
As spot spraying isn't .....at least for me
With a large yard and lots of Dandelions

John

Tiny

They are both broad leaf and whatever is going to kill dandelions will kill clover. You could start making wine with them :D

Ouch , not exactly cheap
But that might be a way to go

Easiest is spray it all and replant clover
Yep, if spot spraying is not the answer. I use the spot spray method and don't do any kind of weed/feed program.

I have over a acre
Replanting isn't in the budget
Besides as I live in the country ,as soon as the darn things bloom
I will have them again

John

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good thing about dandelions is you can kill them easily. Darn near kill them by peeing on them. Spring is certainly the easiest. You might try a light mix of 2-4-D. Would most likely stunt the clover for a bit, but might be enough to kill the yeller weeds. Generally I tried to use a 2-4-D mix with Dicamba in it when I sprayed lawns. The Dicamba worked better on the clover. Sometimes 2-4D doesn't take care of the clover.

Huckleberry Finn

Good thing about dandelions is you can kill them easily. Darn near kill them by peeing on them. Spring is certainly the easiest. You might try a light mix of 2-4-D. Would most likely stunt the clover for a bit, but might be enough to kill the yeller weeds. Generally I tried to use a 2-4-D mix with Dicamba in it when I sprayed lawns. The Dicamba worked better on the clover. Sometimes 2-4D doesn't take care of the clover.

Another vote for 2-4-D

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Another vote for 2-4-D

I don't remember off top of my head so I hesitate to fully commit to the 2-4-D recommendation. Read the label though and see if it mentions the ability to kill clover. If it does NOT, then I would say mix it at regular strength concentration.

I don't remember off top of my head so I hesitate to fully commit to the 2-4-D recommendation. Read the label though and see if it mentions the ability to kill clover. If it does NOT, then I would say mix it at regular strength concentration.

I will have to check
As my brother has 2-4-D for the farm
So I am sure I could get it cheap.....err free

And I like free if it works

John

Huckleberry Finn

I will have to check
As my brother has 2-4-D for the farm
So I am sure I could get it cheap.....err free

And I like free if it works

John

I didn't see the clover part, just the dandelions. Yeah, 2-4-D will smoke your clover, do NOT use that if you want to keep the clover.