Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thinking about Does....

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So I've been thinking about does...and wanted to get y'alls thoughts -

Much is discussed regarding buck behavior, buck calling, buck tactics, buck this and buck that. But what can a hunter do to focus on finding and killing does? The only thing I can remember reading is that a fawn distress call has a good chance of luring in a mature doe.

So with my buck tag filled early, I'm obviously focusing on does...problem is, I've seen more bucks than does. Are there tactics one can use to specifically hunt for does? Let's hear it....

rrr

I think the best way to attract a doe is to have someone with a buck tag hunt with you!

take me hunting with ya , i seem to be able to shoot nothing but does, on another note right now they should be thinking bout food , does dont have to worry about sticking whats between theyre legs into another doe so the rut doesnt affect them much , horniness wise , all the does i have been seeing have been feeding , or running from the bucks , food and cover would be my best bet

Milo

Tatonka guide.
after they have bred they will generally start to get back into their doe groups. they may start to get back into their prerut patterns. if they are still being chased then i would look for pinch points and travel corridors like inside corners to fields.

Kaiser878

ohio
after they have bred they will generally start to get back into their doe groups. they may start to get back into their prerut patterns. if they are still being chased then i would look for pinch points and travel corridors like inside corners to fields.

THere are many different purposes for and how to kill does. Depending on where I am and what the deer are doing is what decides how I hunt them. At my buddies tree farm he has a serious problem with old nanny does. The reason for this is because they have been around for so long and seen so much they are just super smart. HE and his father never shot does, so they always got a pass. Now he has created what seems to be a group of super does! THe farm is arranged with a few hardwood draws but has 3 spruce fields arranged in a triangle on the outer edges of the property. Each spruce field is probably 5 acres and is super grown up. This is a phnemomenal bedding area for deer. Ever deer on this farm or even near it lives in these spruce fields and comes out of them.

We dont just shoot any does out there, they have to be the right ones. THis is where trail cams come in. You can clearly see what does are the problems on the cam, just by their sheer size. THe easiest way we have found to kill the exact does we want is to hunt them over corn. THat way there are no mistakes made and you can make sure you have the right ones! Also then, we can get them where we want them so when they make their death run, they dont go running back into the spruce fields. REsulting in us tracking into the best bedding areas and bumping the other deer.

The farm that I hunt that has always been my honey hole for bucks is a great place to catch does staging from bedding to feed. THe does seem to hang on this farm like crazy. I Dont think I have ever been on that farm and not had a shot at a doe. Doe hunting is fun, and thats why I jsut wanna shoot my buck so I can go have fun and whack a couple more does. I have the most fun the last two weeks of january hunting does. I like to pattern them and set myself in the middle of their staging from bedding to food.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
"HE and his father never shot does, so they always got a pass. Now he has created what seems to be a group of super does"

I was laughing when I read this not because of what you said but what I was thinking. Like the intro of a movie and it explains how the super hero got his powers. I do agree with you about letting does have a pass for too long. I got one old doe that I wouldn't think twice about shooting. It seems she always guides her group away from me every time I am in the stand. Some of the other does will want to go one way and it's like she ignores them and keeps walking her way and they say what the heck and just follow her, likes it's not worth the effort to fight her.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I'm like Zach, I specifically target certain does if at all possible. Right now, I have two on the radar and I'm hoping to kill the one with my recurve. I look for older does that have a knack for finding danger from above! Right now, I'm focusing on travel routes to the food. I'm spending some time right now in observation stands so I can follow movement, then adjust accordingly. I'm treating this much like I would the hunt for a buck. Trail cams and observation are the key for me...

Mike said:
hang apple snacks from the trees.
I'd have to agree with this, as I've been putting apples out...by the buckets and it has kept them in the area. No matter the weather, rut or no rut, etc....they've got to eat. Spread them around, so that they look natural...not in a pile.

Dannmann801 said:
The only thing I can remember reading is that a fawn distress call has a good chance of luring in a mature doe.
Be careful with distress calls...of any kind, as you'll have and/or draw coyotes into the area that might not have showed up, otherwise. A few (3 to 5) calls on a fawn bleat will get a doe's attention and if she's gonna come over to investigate, she will. Otherwise, you'll draw in unwanted predators.

Dannmann801 said:
Are there tactics one can use to specifically hunt for does?
Does tend to live where there is premium food, water and cover. Hunt near a creek or pond and/or a bedding area, at a "bottle neck" that will "funnel" the deer in an area to provide you with a better shot. ...and did I mention putting out a few apples? :smiley_blink:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57