Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2013 bucks

joejoe8

With this being a slow time of the year, post some deer you will be after this year.

Depending on what shows up on trailcam this summer, this Nc buck might be in trouble. I pasted him 3 different times last year inside 20yds. I think he'll be 4 this year, so if he makes a good jump its on. I know his core area an found his sheds in there. He stayed in that same area from July-March. rsz_12012-11-17_083139.jpg2013-03-03 21.49.20.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good looking deer man! Hope you are able to seal the deal on him.

I'm in the fourth year of a quest for a deer name Captain Jack. I know he made it through the season, but had no success finding his sheds. I do have one from his 2011 though. I assumed he was 4 last season, but after finding that shed, I am more inclined to think that he will be 4 this year and that he was just a stellar 1.5 year old when I though he was 2. Other than him, I passed on two great 3 year olds last season and both got kill during gun season. I'm still debating on whether or not I will hold out for Jack this season or kill the first mature buck I have a chance at. The big determining factor will be whether or not the farm next to us gets sold or not. I have permission on it now and that is the main part of his core area. I still don't have cameras out either, so who knows what I will find!

2010 - I originally thought he was 2.5 here, but now believe he was just a great 1.5 year old...

2011 - I have the shed from this year and he is not even close to being as big as he looks. I thought he was 3.5 here, but after finding the shed and seeing that he was 125" this year, I believe he was 2.5 here.

2012 - He grew a funky rack last year dropping a G3 from the left and adding a G4 on the right. The left side G2 was a long, clubbed tine with a couple small kickers. My buddy hit him in the back of the knee last year, so who knows what will happen with his rack in 2013.

Last edited:

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I have yet to throw a camera out this year! I'm trying to stay out ALOT more this year. Got my minerals out but trying to disturb very little this year. Not going to put cameras out til late July or early Aug. Either way that's a great buck you got up there. Should be a stud this year.

joejoe8

This will be the forth year chasing this buck, I call him Big John. Nc deer, his is almost totally noctural an leaves our farm Oct. 8-15 every year. I'm going to be very aggressive with him this year.
2011 Big John.jpg
2012 IM000064.jpg

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This will be the 3rd year chasing Jagger. I saw him once in 2011 sneaking through the fog. I saw him twice in 2012, once while putting food out and once while pushing for my son (he also saw him on his way to his spot one day). Jagger is not a giant, but he's mature and would be a great trophy because he has eluded us so many times. He's not camera shy though. I'm fairly confident that he survived the hunting season because one of the sightings was the last day of muzzy season and then right after we started getting pics of bucks with dropped antlers. I never did find his sheds thougg, which was very disappointing.

I am praying that little drop tine grows a lot this year.

Jager3.jpg
jagger1.jpg
jagger2.jpg
jagger5.jpg

Here he is just minutes before I arrived at this stand!
jagger6.jpg

Here he is in 2011...
jagger4.jpg

Gordo

Athens County
This deer ive named 'handsome'. For the last two years he's shown up the first week of november on one of my properties. He then stays for the rest of the season. If he does the same thing and i still have my buck tag i'll be making a move on him.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370883029.905089.jpg

runhunter

Here's a NJ deer I've had on camera the last 3 years. In 2011, he appears to be 4 1/2, maybe 5 1/2. If he is still alive, he's atleast 6 1/2... He normally shows up a small handful of times in August, maybe once in early Sept, then disappears. I've branched out, tried to find his core area, but he's slick. He's managed to avoid 2 straight months of deer drives during gun season, year after year. Just shows you the difference between NJ and OH haha.. He'd be a hell of a lot bigger out there at that age, but he's grown a drop and I'm curious to see if he's made it and what he'll look like. Age is king in my book and I hope he slips up888.jpg8888.jpg777.jpgPICT1799.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I wish I had something to contribute to this thread. I don't have any sheds,late season photos or visuals of my target bucks from last year to go by. There were two nice bucks killed on nearby highways during last falls rut and one stud found dead on the property I hunt this winter. I'm sure a few nice ones got by and will move in but until then I'm on a wait and see mode.

You all have some great deer to hunt this season. Looking forward to your updates and pics of these deer and wish you all good luck this season in getting them on the ground with hero pics of you sitting behind them.

joejoe8

Great name, at first look thought I might have a pic of his twin. But handsome is a lil bigger for sure. Taken late season in Athens area. ResizedImage951357237929761.jpg
This deer ive named 'handsome'. For the last two years he's shown up the first week of november on one of my properties. He then stays for the rest of the season. If he does the same thing and i still have my buck tag i'll be making a move on him.

View attachment 14132

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have several which I believe made it through the season. Found one side of a definite shooter. I am not counting on anything though. Been a couple seasons now with high hopes and let downs. I just want to enjoy deer season. Looking forward to a day off right now but don't see it in the near future. Just hoping to free up the schedule before hunting season. Here is the buck I found one shed from last year. He seems to be the only "regular" that uses the property year round.

064.jpg158 (800x600).jpg

Then again, there were several other regulars prior to season last year. I haven't even checked a camera on this property this year but once. I really don't care. If they are there on camera now, they will be in two weeks or a month or whenever I get around to checking again. lol

00buck

after seeing some of these pics does a couple things
1 ready to hunt now
2 rethink what i call a good deer