Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

pendulum sight

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Used one exclusively for years when I shot compound out of tree stands.... I was very accurate with it and harvested lots of deer with it....

Easy too use, just make sure it's either lighted or fiber optic... For the low light conditions....

Only downside is you can't shoot the start pendulum sight on the ground, I bought a Keller later on who h was fairly accurate on the ground and just as a curate in the tree stand.... Haven't researched any for years so hope this helps a little....

yotehunter,
The theory behind the pendulum sight was about downward angles and how to compensate for them.

While in an elevated platform, all you have to do is you use a laser range finder and shoot the tree next to the target. Use that yardage to shoot the intended target, next to that tree and it will work the same...I've done it and it works.

I shot a groundhog from a treestand that my laser range finder read "26 yards"...to the groundhog, but shooting the tree next to the groundhog (straight ahead or at eye level in front of me) and it read "23 yards". I shot the groundhog for 23 yards and drilled him to the ground, dead. :smiley_dead:

Even so, you MUST bend at the waist to maintain your upper body form, to make a good shot. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm using one now and have shot several deer with it. But it seems to fall off at 30 yards even out of the tree. I'm shooting 62 lbs and 99 percent of my shots are 20 or less just was wondering I truly love it out to 30 yards tho.

TurkeyFizz

Yep good to 30 yards! I shot one years ago when bows where at 250 ft/sec. loved it. If you shoot a bow that is 280ft/sec. or above you might want to consider just a fixed one pin set up. set the pin for 25 or 30 yards and you will still be about the same as using the pendulum. jm .02

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yep pretty much hit it there TF.... My old bow I shot with the pendulum sight was a whopping 230 fps lol... Today's faster bows can get away with the single pin setup vs the older ones....