Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Burnt out on fishing?

Lately, I feel like I'd rather go do just about anything than go fishing. Anything from shooting my bow, riding my bike, groundhog hunting, etc. Honestly, I'm not sure why I feel this way, as I've not had my newer fishing kayak a whole year, yet. Maybe I just "jumped in" too deep and didn't mix it up with other activities.

Part of it is the waters around here, suck and it requires a minimum of a 45 minute drive to get into some good fishing water. I'd much rather be fishing in Fluteman's area of A.E.P. :smiley_bril: I've even given thought to selling my kayak and entering into a different adventure. :smiley_chinrub:

Have you ever come to the point of feeling like you're burnt out on fishing? :smiley_depressive:

Bowhunter57

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I feel you. I fished the Maumee for walleye twice. That's down right ridiculous for me.

Huckleberry Finn

Just bought a new pole today and my fishing license on Saturday. Gonna hit a creek with a buddy this week in his canoe and go from there. Probably fish at a TOO outing and I've got 2 nice ponds to hit on some hot summer night. I've never been serious about it and no desire too. I'm pretty decent at soaking worms though!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
When I can, I fish 3-4 times a week. Last week, I fished Wed and Thursday. I'm still catching crappies right on the banks of Paint Creek (I'm talking within a foot of the bank, from a boat). It was hot as heck those two days, my son, my buddy and I got sunburnt pretty bad. By Friday, the last thing I wanted to do was go fishing. Tomorrow is Monday, and I'm dying to go to the lake, but I'm gonna run some errands instead :). By September I'll be sick of it. Fishing is just not something I get sick of very easy. However, some thing I love to do I do burn-out on. The only cure is to walk away. You have to be "in the mood" to do fun things for them to be fun... Just lay off for a while and don't feel "guilty" about it ---- it isn't something any of us HAVE to do.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Bow hunter I understand where your coming from. Theses local waters have had me scratching my head the last few years myself they have burnt me out too. I just pulled the boat out today myself. Five years ago I couldn't wait for April may and June to catch those walleyes and saugeyes. But these bathtubs around home here don't have the fish the used to idk why but they just aren't there. I can remember days at bressler catching 40 to 50 perch all over 11 inches and then trolling the north bank and catching a limit of walleye all around 18 to 20 inch range. Hell now if you catch 3 or 4 keepers in a week your doing good. Yes I'm like you Im burnt out and I think its the lack of fish in our area.

Tiny

Yes and for the same reasons. I used to fish every day because I lived by so much water. Now I fish occasionally because it's a 30 minute ride to any water that has any decent fish and then catching fish is a seasonal thing. I go in spurts.
If there is a run or just a time of year where I know I will have success then I go and until then I pretty much focus on other things.
I find it is much more satisfying to focus on what works best in any one month and not to burn myself out by focusing on the one thing that I would most like to do but is not worth doing at that time.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
However, some thing I love to do I do burn-out on. The only cure is to walk away. You have to be "in the mood" to do fun things for them to be fun... Just lay off for a while and don't feel "guilty" about it ---- it isn't something any of us HAVE to do.

Yep. I can't comment on the fishing end of things because I don't fish much. However I felt this way about bowhunting after the 2011 season. I washed myself of it and spent the summer focusing on other things. When lasts season rolled around, I had a renewed enthusiasm for my greatest love and it made all the difference in my enjoyment of bowhunting. Like Brock said, stepping away for a while is often the best approach to finding the fire again...

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Amen fellows its easy to get burnt out just put it on the back burner but don't turn the flame out, its hobbies and a passion. When we make it work its no fun anymore.

Kaiser878

ohio
I don't get burnt out much on fishing..... I fish every chance I get. I fished a tournament Tuesday and was ready to fish again the next day.... although, I was ready to go home about 1 minute into the tournament when my veritas wench and 150 dollar reel jumped over board into about 35 foot of water at about 70mph..... I was about ready to throw up...... chalk that up to negligence!!!!