Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hand gunning for ground pigs...

Kaiser878

ohio
Haven't really been trying to kill em with my hand gun. But they keep showing up at opportune times.....I just shot another today...anyone else shoot em with hand guns???
One from earlier this week
uploadfromtaptalk1370034531513.jpg
One from today
uploadfromtaptalk1370034574546.jpg

I use a Ruger MK2 22 pistol with a red dot on it
Winchester Power Point ammo
Not always able to get them
As I am the limmiting factor

Normaly I am good to 25 or so yds
I have hit a few past 50 yds
But a little luck was involved LOL

John

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
You can get pretty close when brush hogging.After a while (mid summer)they just sit up and watch you by...Its like a rolling action shoot with stationary targets. lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't go ground hog hunting with a handgun, but I have taken several this way. Good shooting Zach!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
You can get pretty close when brush hogging.After a while (mid summer)they just sit up and watch you by...Its like a rolling action shoot with stationary targets. lol
Sounds fun .. Ya need to mount a bench seat on the tractor...and a cooler full of refreshment

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
what? your kidding right?

Nope. The rest of you guys don't realize how good you have it when it comes to shooting whistle pigs for a little fun. Some of you kill more in a day than you could find and kill in a week around here. Don't get me wrong, there are a few around, but hunting them is futile. For those of you who have been to our farm, it should be groundhog heaven. The only one we see lives under the barn and has for a few years. The coyotes have all but killed them off. With all the driving I do, I'm lucky to see 1 a week...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Old pic but a good shot on my part. 23 yards is where I hit him on the run. One shot did it. Too bad it was a $1.50 gold dot that I shot him with...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I'll take ya on a guided ground hog hunt...... guaranteed to shoot 25 or more in a full day of hunting........

That would be a fun day...once they get this first cut down in the hay fields and the beans get up a little more...it will be great. You could probably get to slaying em now. I just havent had the extra time.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
An aquintance of mine used to drive guys around to shoot w-pigs. He asked permission to hit our farms and we were happy to let him go for it. I was walking out to check cams and about stepped on one of his clients. He was in full ghillie leaning against a stump.

He had a van full and everyone of the guys had on full camo suits and high dollar rifles.

I laughed when he told me he charges $200/person/day....for w-pigs. He has moved since then but he was driving around $1,600 that day.