Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gold Tip Pro Hunter's

runhunter

I'm making the switch to the GT ProHunter's this year, from the ICS Camo Hunters.. and here's the question I have. Currently, I'm shooting a CRX32, @ 64-65# draw, with 27" Beman ICS camo 400's. I know the chart on GT's web site says I should go with the 5575's, but what are your opinions on shooting a slightly stiffer spine, and buying the 7595's (340's)? Obviously, I would be a tad overspined, and with the newer bows, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Any experiences, advice, thoughts, opinions???

Milo

Tatonka guide.
it wont effect your setup. I will run your numbers tonight to see what my comp spits out and report back.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
from what im seeing your dead nuts on 400 spine. You can shoot a 340 but you may need to adjust your rest slightly... very slightly

Milo

Tatonka guide.
if you cut them to 28.5 and a 125 grain point thats a pretty good sweet spot. your just slightly overspined. would be good for broadheads. with the 100's you will probably need a slight rest horizontal adjustment.

runhunter

28.5 might be a little long. Hmmm....would the 340s offer me any advantage the 400 wont? Being over spined, would I possibly notice groups opening up at 30, 40, 50 etc??

Milo

Tatonka guide.
28.5 might be a little long. Hmmm....would the 340s offer me any advantage the 400 wont? Being over spined, would I possibly notice groups opening up at 30, 40, 50 etc??

no they are just heavier thats about the only advantage

Milo

Tatonka guide.
crap i just noticed i did a 35 not a 32....sorry you will want the 340's...my bad..you slightly underspined right now. cut them to 28 and you will be happy happy

runhunter

Haha so the 340s @28" will make me feel like a school girl on prom night? Ill see what 28's look like at full draw on the QAD

runhunter

Just took a peek and length wise, was curious to see if, and how far the 28" extended past the riser, but I'm just shy of the front, so I'm good. The GT ProHunter 7595 in camo is 10.9gr/inch. If I go that route, I'm looking at a finished arrow in the 460 gr ball park, KE 74#, FOC just above 9%. The ICS I'm shooting now weigh in at 408 gr, so there's a little bit of adjustment that will need to be made, but overall, I think it's a more balanced set up.

runhunter

Thanks Jesse.. This is the beauty of archery IMO, making small changes here and there to better your set up. It gives you a reason to stay on top of your game. I have plenty of time to work out the kinks, but I honestly don't expect many. Milo, ya did some good work, it's much appreciated!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hear ya there. We are a tinkering bunch of fools around here! You got Fluteman blowing up limbs while drawing with his feet to check cam rotation. :smiley_blackeye: And who could forget old JB getting his "bubble gum" caught trying to tinkering while he was half asleep! lmao

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I hear ya there. We are a tinkering bunch of fools around here! You got Fluteman blowing up limbs while drawing with his feet to check cam rotation. :smiley_blackeye: And who could forget old JB getting his "bubble gum" caught trying to tinkering while he was half asleep! lmao

Hey, I didn't blow nothing up, I just bent the axles. :smiley_arrogant: If the dang guys at the bow shop hadn't set me up with a 27" draw, but the draw stops at 28.5", I wouldn't have had to mess with it. This is why I'm trying to learn to do my own work now!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
HAHA! Couldn't remember exactly what happened. But you are right, it is exactly why we don't need to take our bows any where other than to our own shop! Buncha hacks around here!!!

runhunter

Is/was Milo a bow tech or just knows his shit through trial and error?? He's been dead on with helping me get this GT situation figured out

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Milo has been around the block and being an engineer don't hurt either! He's been a surrogate big brother to me for years and he's one of the best. He tuned my '07 Switchback XT last year and it was incredible the difference it made. The Strother Infinity I just got from him shoots laser beams. If Milo is on the case, you are in good hands!