Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Golf cart knowledge and values?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am outside my scope of knowledge. I had an opportunity at a golf cart tonight. One rule of horse trading is: Do NOT buy something outside your field of knowledge. I broke it. I bought it off a trusted individual that does any of our maintenance work which is outside our scope of ability. He went thru it, replaced fuel filter and belts, and checked it all out. He had bought 4, sold 2 already, and was keeping one for himself.

It is a 2004 Club Car. Gas powered. Just off the golf course. Nothing fancy, just a golf cart. Anything I should keep an eye on? Maintenance issues to be aware of? I am planning on using it at shows and maybe a bit on our property. Worst case scenario, I don't think I will have an issue selling it for what I have in it.

Anyone have a clue on used values of similar carts?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You're unbelievable sometime.

Get a can of black spray paint and a lift kit for it...

rotflmao

It is green already. Maybe a do it yourself camo job?

Anyone have a clue on used values. I tried pricing on craigslist and they are all over the map. I am curious only because I think I can pick up a few more. Seemed like a heckuva deal but I want to verify before I try to arrange a TOO group buy. lol

Tiny

A buddy of mine buys and sells carts and I guess he is very good at it because he has been doing it forever. IMO the prices are all over the place because there is a lot to it and there are so many different carts. On average he seems to be buying them for 2500 and selling for double after he tweaks them. He turns down many of them and it seems to me that it is easier to buy a lemon than a diamond... listening to him talk.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Since its a gas job I'd say there isn't much more to worry about then any other gas powered machine you have.

What engine is in it? 2 or 4 cycle?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Since its a gas job I'd say there isn't much more to worry about then any other gas powered machine you have.

What engine is in it? 2 or 4 cycle?

Not sure to be honest. I never listened to it run. When it is a person you trust, you take their word. Just like I gave him my word i would take it. He assured me it was good to go.

Electric- Yeah. I would be nervous. 6-8 batteries I think? You could be looking at $6-800 if they are ready to be replaced. Maybe more, maybe a bit less.

k.stone

central Ohio
Don't know TOO much about them but I did pay $1000 for an older gas club car that was already lifted and had the bed on it. It needed tuned up and I put a camo kit on it so I probably got $1300 in it.
I've got Honda four wheelers and a Yamaha rhino and I much prefer to drive the golf cart. Its got a soft ride and is fairly quiet and has a suprising amount of pulling and hauling ability.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like a heckuva deal K.Stone. I have been checking craigslist the last couple days and haven't seen any in this price range unless they were really old. Even then they weren't lifted with a bed on them. Sounds like you did really well.

Sam- It is a 4 cycle gas motor. I paid him today and drove it around. Now I need to decide if I want to do a bit of work to it and keep it or if I am just going to flip it. Local CL ads look like $2100-2800 is the price range for similar carts. I am in at a few bills more than K.Stone. I think I did alright. Might make a quick 6-8 hundred. Might use it a few years and break even. I don't know.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Not sure to be honest. I never listened to it run. When it is a person you trust, you take their word. Just like I gave him my word i would take it. He assured me it was good to go.

Electric- Yeah. I would be nervous. 6-8 batteries I think? You could be looking at $6-800 if they are ready to be replaced. Maybe more, maybe a bit less.

Dad's Club Car is elect... O ya. 6 batteries can be very costly. We did change the tires to a more aggressive tread since he was getting stuck in some areas of the property w/ the "slicks", but all-in-all, it worked out great for him to get around.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Phil, we've used the electric versions of the club cars on base for years.... Batteries hold up decently of you maintain them and keep water levels up. The couple of gas versions that I have experienced seem too be worry free other then the routine maint upkeep... Suspension parts I would keep a close watch on, they're not off road (4 wheeling) quality in my opinion.... So if you're running trails with it you'll need too keep an eye on the front end.... Most of the gas models will need the governor tweaked if you're carrying a load and have too traverse any steeper hills..... Bout all I can think of from my experience, sounds like you can get some use out of it and not take a beating when your done....

k.stone

central Ohio
I'd get to know the local golf course owner or superintendent and ask them what they do with their old ones..... (cut out the middle man.lol).

I've actually been shopping for a utility trailer to haul a golf cart, myself. My wife and I were going to use it at the water dog races, community garage sales and a few other events. I definitely want a gas cart, as I'm not up for the cost of replacing the batteries. Plus, the gas engines can be upgraded for more power and/or rebuilt.

I've been doing most of my shopping on Craigslist, but I know a few local places that sell them and I need to take the time to get out there to see what they've got, price them, etc.

Bowhunter57