Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tips on selling a used bow

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm thinking of parting my with bow so I can upgrade to something newer. I troll AT quite a bit, but I haven't seen a used Iceman in quite some time. Throw in the fact that mine is a lefty and I'm not sure what to expect. I did list it on Craigslist for $425, but I was really just guessing. How do you price your bow if you have no comps? I'd rather sell local to avoid shipping costs. Any pointers?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
how old is it? found several through a google search. pricing ranging from $300 to $700 depending on what year it was made.

list it on ebay with a $300 reserve, see what happens.

Huckleberry Finn

2009 with QAD pro series LD rest, octane quiver and stabilizer, peep, d-loop, kisser, TR alpha v5 sight.

Figure out if you want to sell it fully loaded or bare bow. Like Dante said, somewhere on the world wide webs, you can find a comparable bow. I've sold 1 on Craigslist before.

I'd list it on here TOO...you never know. Can't beat a free listing where you can copy and paste...

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Bows on AT take a huge dive after a year. If it is a two year or older bow the value on there plummets unless its a Mathews. AT kills the value of used bows at least from a sellers view. Not trying to to be negative but that's the truth. You may have more luck selling it locally. Good luck!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Bows on AT take a huge dive after a year. If it is a two year or older bow the value on there plummets unless its a Mathews. AT kills the value of used bows at least from a sellers view. Not trying to to be negative but that's the truth. You may have more luck selling it locally. Good luck!

That's pretty much what I've seen too. Bows depreciate worse than anything else out there. It's stupid how much their values drop after just 1 year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No clue but being lefty can be a blessing or a curse. Pretty much like selling anything else. If you find a lefty that is looking for that specific bow and draw length you are golden. Might be tough finding that lefty looking for your specific bow though. Ebay is one of my guides to tell me what things are selling for. It at least gives a reference on items other than bows. When it comes to bows, I would be asking TOO like you are.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Sell closer to hunting season. Now is not a good time. You will be sick to your stomach how much you will sell it for. Juat remember its only worth what someone is willing to give you for it. You have nice equipment so i wouls hang on to it if your going to give it away

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree with Milo... but I have a garage full of bows! I can't help myself, they lose value so fast that I just can't justify giving them to a stranger. I have however, given a few to friends in need. :) If you are anything like me, there is peace of mind in knowing if you destroy your bow during season there is another ready to go.

August and September are the best times to list it if you decide to part ways.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm not in any kind of hurry to sell...although it would make picking up a new bow an easier sell to the wife. Anyone ship a bow recently? Cost?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not in any kind of hurry to sell...although it would make picking up a new bow an easier sell to the wife. Anyone ship a bow recently? Cost?

Just buy it. I came home tonight and told my wife I bought a golf cart. She just shrugged her shoulders and said "Good for you. Make some money with it."

Then again, you did just get a new truck. Maybe you better not press your luck. lol

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Just tell her your getting a good bow so half of it will still be worth something:D

Schu72

Streetsboro
Just buy it. I came home tonight and told my wife I bought a golf cart. She just shrugged her shoulders and said "Good for you. Make some money with it."

Then again, you did just get a new truck. Maybe you better not press your luck. lol

I want a black bow to match my black truck.:smiley_coolpeace:

Tiny

Sell the bow stripped because the high majority of the time, the buyer does not want what you have on it. Archery is just to individualized a sport to share accessories. A newbie might buy it loaded for a reasonable price but aside from that... no.
Cut 300 on a thousand dollar bow after 1 year and then 200 the next year and 100 every year after that and you are looking at best case scenario IMO.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Keep it. I was supposed to sell my Mathews if I bought the Strother. They are nesting next to one another in the man room right now and not a word has been said. Simply explain it is not worth what you thought it was worth and for no more money than you would get out of it, you might as well keep it. Two bows is always better than one!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You'll never get enough out of that bow to justify selling it. I would hold onto it as a backup. Just tell the wife to deal with it!