Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

attractants

Tiny

I only use food lures and I have great success with them. I am primarily an early season hunter and hunt mainly to fill the freezer and enjoy the fall weather high in a tree stand. :)

O.K. ... High ....meaning distance off the ground ;)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
None. We are in ag country. Everything is a food source around here. Now if I can find an old apple tree (or better yet an orchard) I will hunt as close as I can. For the most part it is all about wind, ease of access to tree stand, and minimizing intrusions for me. I do throw out some minerals but can't say I really hunt over them. They are nice for pictures and I feel like I am helping the overall herd health, but by the time hunting season is here it seems like they have already been abandoned.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I was trying the Ever Calm Deer Herd Stick last year. I got some real convincing trail cam video last year.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
None. We are in ag country. Everything is a food source around here. Now if I can find an old apple tree (or better yet an orchard) I will hunt as close as I can. For the most part it is all about wind, ease of access to tree stand, and minimizing intrusions for me. I do throw out some minerals but can't say I really hunt over them. They are nice for pictures and I feel like I am helping the overall herd health, but by the time hunting season is here it seems like they have already been abandoned.

What he said^^^. +1 on the Evercalm. I had numerous close encounters with deer licking it off trees and bedding down under my stand last year

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yes hicks that why I was asking its hard too beat the food we have for our herd. My main trouble is pressure and any advantage will help. I know the right place and right time is key, you can't kill them in the recliner. I will check into the deer calm thanks.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes hicks that why I was asking its hard too beat the food we have for our herd. My main trouble is pressure and any advantage will help. I know the right place and right time is key, you can't kill them in the recliner. I will check into the deer calm thanks.

I feel your pain man. Buy a piece of property, still doesn't matter. You will still end up with every knucklehead trespassing or hunting the property lines on you. Just tough to get a decent sized parcel locked down around here.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I had one and the owner told me that he was going to start bow hunting with a xbow and rather I didn't hunt. And of course my other permissions are like hunting 40 acres of public ground, lol . Its tough up here to kill big deer.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Ditto

I do like hunting on AG field edges and prefer standing corn primarily because usually they harbor a mature buck for food and cover. AG fields are just huge food plots or draws that you just have to scout out to determine where to hang your stand.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ever Calm and smoke up good. 2012 was the 1st year for both and I can't believe the good results. I stopped explaining the results to people as the laugh at me. Their loose not mine.
The idea for Ever Calm and smoke up both came of this TOO forum. Thanks all.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm missing out on the smoke thing could someone explain. And yes crop edges are my main stands they do produce, without a doubt. Like I say my worst enemy is other hunters. Believe this or not last year me and a buddy hung stands in early august 2weeks later there was 4stands within 200yards of mine and none of them was there the day we hung ours. And the first night of season I shot a 125 inch buck and it ran by a guy hunting on the ground in white tennis shoes and a white tee shirt under his camo which when I first saw the white it got the heart jumping till I realize it was some asshole smoking his cig which he threw down in a dry corn field. The look on his face was priceless when the buck I shot just about blowed blood on him when he blew by him. That's the idiots I'm dealing with. But please if anybody could help me with smoke deal it would be much appreciated. Sorry to ramble some people just piss me off just ruining it for the guys that truly make bow season our second job.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
http://www.scentsmoker.com/
Many of use it and I can say that I won't hunt deer without smoking up first. I don;t have many options to play the wind. It's the real deal.

I wouldn't think of leaving the house without it on. My grandsons thought grandpa was pulling a trick on them but when they seen the deer downwind of them with their noses in the air trying to figure the smell out they were sold on the smoke idea.
Several times I had deer downwind of me in my woods, they would stick their noses up in the air for couple minutes, calm down and then just feed around me.
But I had Deer Calm there to plus the smoke so which one worked? I don't know because I'm not going to stop using either of them to find out.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wouldn't think of leaving the house without it on. My grandsons thought grandpa was pulling a trick on them but when they seen the deer downwind of them with their noses in the air trying to figure the smell out they were sold on the smoke idea.
Several times I had deer downwind of me in my woods, they would stick their noses up in the air for couple minutes, calm down and then just feed around me.
But I had Deer Calm there to plus the smoke so which one worked? I don't know because I'm not going to stop using either of them to find out.

It's simply an amazing sight to see when that happens. They sneak in downwind and you just know. Then they throw their head in the air. Sniff around the smoke and you're wincing waiting for it. Then they put their head down and go about their business. You're standing there like "did that just happen!"