Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

We like the Flatheads!

Tiny

I always have to post this picture on every forum I belong to because I am so proud of my wife's PB flatehad which she caught in a northeast Ohio reservoir last year. We were using a 8-9" sunfish under a 12" bobber about 8' off shore. What a fight!!.

jens fish 1.jpg

Anyone who wants to give us a direction toward these great fish in the southern part of the state... We are all ears! :)

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That's a big fish right there! Congrats! My buddy Rob does some flatheading when he can & usually lands a few bigguns every year. I think the only other person that knows his spots is his dog. rotflmao

Tiny

Dang what a Cat, what did it weigh?

We only had a 60# scale and it bottomed it out like a sledgehammer hitting an egg :D I went to the Mississippi DNR site and using their charts (length) it came out as something like 80#. We CPR all cats this big so we will never know for sure. If it was 80+ that's a state record I believe but it was 3AM and to get it scaled for registration we would have had to have killed her. Not worth it for the sake of some Ink.
She is out there still... Someone else will have some fun with her in the future I am sure :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's a heck of a big fish! A buddy of mine has landed two good shovelheads recently while trolling for saugeye at Rocky Fork. One was 36#, the other about 55#... he only had a 50lb scale with him and it bottomed out the scale also. It was 48" long, and the charts say that's about 55#. Heck of a fish on 10lb line!

Tiny

That's a heck of a big fish! A buddy of mine has landed two good shovelheads recently while trolling for saugeye at Rocky Fork. One was 36#, the other about 55#... he only had a 50lb scale with him and it bottomed out the scale also. It was 48" long, and the charts say that's about 55#. Heck of a fish on 10lb line!

WOW!, That beats our line record!. We fish with 30# minimum (thats what this one was caught on) but typically we are using 60# braid.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Hey Tiny, you might try the Ohio River for big mud cats? I know for a fact, that there are flatheads and blues that push 100 lbs. in there. Just a suggestion, and it will be fairly close to you.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Depending on where you settle in Ross Co, the Scioto will be right out your door too. Its got some mighty big flatheads!