Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Random Snake Question

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I have a garter snake that is living under my front porch and shows himself often during the day. If it would bite one of my dogs, is that something I should be concerned about?

I know they are not poisonous, but I just wondered if that would warrant a trip to the vet or anything, just due to swelling or whatever?????? I know that sometimes a cat scratch can be a problem, so I wondered about this fugging snake.

Unfortunately, I no longer have my bowling ball to drop on him. :smiley_chinrub:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I've been bit by snakes over the years and garter snakes are quite harmless. Even if they strike a dog in the nose, it shouldnt warrant a trip to the vet. IMO.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I've been bit by snakes over the years and garter snakes are quite harmless. Even if they strike a dog in the nose, it shouldnt warrant a trip to the vet. IMO.

Thanks. My poodle pup "bounces" and she bounced on it the other day, never even noticing it. The snake noticed, but by that time, she was off bouncing elsewhere! My Goldens don't bounce though!

Whew. I was worried when I saw the title. Must be watching TOO much Law & Order SVU...

:smiley_crocodile:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Garter snakes are harmless. It might get red but not swollen or require a vet trip. Just wipe it with neosporin after.