Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Storage for Hunting clothes / gear

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Currently, I have a makeshift hanging system in my garage for all of my hunting clothes and gear. It's a mess, to say the least. My garage is the main entry way into our house and the best place for my hunting stuff so I do not track mud through the house. I'm looking for ideas for storage. I've seen Jesse's Rubbermaid closet, and I am leaning toward that. In my garage, I have an area in the back that is about 6 foot wide and 5 foot deep that would be perfect for something liek this...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_321308-1217-FG5L20LWFMONX_0__?productId=3153359&Ntt=rubbermaid+sheds&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Drubbermaid%2Bsheds&facetInfo=

In this Rubbermaid shed, I would have to install a rod to hang my clothes on.

However, I'm open for ideas of anyone else who may have a similar situation where the garage is also, eseentially, a mud room. As much as I hunt (daily during deer season), I'd like to keep my stuff readily accesible instead of marching through the house and down to the rec room area.

Anyone have any good ideas?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd use the shed personally. Easy to set up and move if necessary. You could get some MDF and build your own, but for the price of that shed, I'd just get it...

Huckleberry Finn

What would it cost to frame in that part of the garage? Isn't it already 3 sides with a door? Seems like you could frame in a wall and put a door on there, put hangers and bars around the walls, and you'd have a mud room that's not the house but also not the garage.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Huck, you're right. Dang, you been creepin on me? Lol
That's not a bad idea. Might be about the same cost and give more space. I'll look into it.
It is more work though... Sumbitch!

Seal it up good and tight on the inside and put you a vent on it to the outside so you can smoke your clothes up in it. Then you don't fill the garage with smoke!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That's not a bad idea. Might be about the same cost and give more space. I'll look into it.

You have connections lol beer and food are a strong motivating factor lol....

Huckleberry Finn

Ha, no but I've seen your garage twice! That would add value to your home vs. the rubbermade tote. You couldn't take it when you go, but you're dying in that house anyways - so just go permanent.

The house I grew up in had a porch on it and at one point when the whole house got a new roof, Dad built a 10 x 7 or so mudroom off the front of the house. He put in 2 deep closets with bars and a bench I believe. It was nice...

Greg's vent idea isn't a bad one either.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You have a window near that corner don't you? You could easily use a bit of flex hose and just open the window and pipe it out during hunting season...

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Metal cabinets...clean, sturdy, vented, multiple layouts available, and don't have to worry about them catching fire or melting with the smoker in the bottom. Keep an eye on Craigslist, auctions, etc. I like having them on wheeled bases to move around to clean.

image_zpsf0bd09a0.jpg

image_zps5477fed4.jpg

Off season
I use The Vacume bag system
Shrinks the storage area needed and keeps the wrong oders off the clothes

My shop vac shrinks a bag of cloths down nicely

I then store the bags in the basement

During the hunting season
I have a room in the basement to use

John

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Off season
I use The Vacume bag system
Shrinks the storage area needed and keeps the wrong oders off the clothes

My shop vac shrinks a bag of cloths down nicely

I then store the bags in the basement

During the hunting season
I have a room in the basement to use

John

Good idea but be careful with your insulated clothing. That much compression can prematurely wear down the fibers which makes the clothing not as warm. That is why down and other high end sleeping bags come with the storage bag AND a compression sack, they shouldn't be stored compressed.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio