Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grill/Generator/Power Washer

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
With my meager earnings from coaching baseball this year, I am looking to purchase a new grill to replace my rusted out POS. I would also like to get a generator that will run a fridge, freezer, window AC unit, TV/satellite, and a light or two. Having a power washer would also be nice. The latter two items I really have no clue what I want to purchase, but I have been looking at the propane/charcoal combo grills lately. Any points on those and the other items mentioned?

Schu72

Streetsboro
We cooked out at a friends this weekend and he had a combo grill. It was nice, but the cooking surface was somewhat limited and we had to use both fuel sources to cook for a moderate sized group of friends.

Not on your list, but I bought a Bradley smoker earlier this spring and am really enjoying it so far.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have given thought to going with a larger gas grill and getting a reasonably priced smoker and/or charcoal grill. The more I think about it, the more that makes sense.

On the generator/power washer side of things, I am looking at a Generac 2700 psi 2.3 GPM and the Homelite 5,700-Watt generator. Any experiences with those?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Aaaa. 3 things every man should have.

One point... Spend the money on a quality grill. It will last 3 times longer than a cheap p.o.s. base line
After years of buying low end grills that only last a few years, I spent the money on a higher end one. I have been very happy w/ my Char-Broil Commerical line grill. Much better quality and a big difference in the heat distrabution of the burners. Almost had to learn to cook on one all over again but now I can cook almost anything on it.

:smiley_bbq:

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Like Jim, I just bought a Charbroil Infared grill. Jesse, as you know, I am not a cook! However, I've made flawless steaks, chicken, and burgers on this grill. It is awesome! The reviews aren't so good, but so far I love it. It's the 3 burner one for $399. I got the floor model for $345.

So far so good on the purchase.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
get a power washer with a thermal bypass.. that will save you from having to buy a new pump should someone forget it needs water to keep the pump cool. they are a couple hundo for a new pump. honda generator only...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Grill - I have the Charbroil Commercial line with a searer and really like it. The searer gets up to like 1200 degrees and seals in steaks great.

Generators - Hondas are nice for camping but not worth the money unless you need absolute quite operation. The A/C unit is going to throw you into a bigger unit. 5,500 watt or bigger. I have two that size and they have worked great. One a cheap WEN and the other a Generac. You may actually need bigger than 5,000 watts. EDIT - just saw you were speaking of a window unit so maybe a 5,000 is not needed. Depends on the load it uses.

Wen5500 - $619
Generac 5500 - $700
Honda EM5000 - $2,100
Yamaha - $1,800

Power washer - I have a 5 year old Powerboss with a Honda engine and it works great. I use it all the time but have had to replace the pump once (after letting someone borrow it). I purchased a new, original equipment pump online for $149 shipped. Not bad...

2700-3000 psi does great for residential. My Honda engine is really a one pull deal if I remember to turn it to "run". Lol

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

My Honda engine is really a one pull deal if I remember to turn it to "run". Lol

LOL. We were working on a job with their little portable one and I yanked that sucker 10 times and said "Honda my ass, it ain't starting!" Turns out that they also need gasoline in 'em...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Generators- I am thinking many of these are made in the same place and branded differently. Go to the box stores and they all look pretty dang close in the engine/generator department with different colors or gas tanks. I have a 5500 watt and it has been sufficient but we only run a couple lights and keep the fridges and freezers working. Never attempted to run A/C or anything.

Power washers- I have had terrible luck in this department. My only recommendation here is to buy one with a replaceable pump. See what pump it has and look up the model online to see if it is standard. Seems a lot of the "cheaper" ones have bastard pumps and you end up with a barely broken in engine and a useless power washer taking up space.

Grills- I won't even go there. Not my area. Ours is stainless, has the side burner, and a large cooking area. Pretty sure there is a brand on it somewhere. Has lasted 5-10yrs or so so far. About time for some new grates to cook on but the 4 burners are still working for now. I am thinking Walmart $300 range is what neighborhood we were in.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I bought a Weber 5+ years ago and it still works as well as it did new, I will definitely look at them again when we need one.
I have a small pressure washer with a Honda engine and it seems to be good enough for my use and as far as a generator these guys covered that way better than I can.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
On the generator, it's like a garage you think you can get away with a 24'x24' and when it's all said and do e you should of went the 30x40 lol

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I just junked a Brinkman grill, it was probably 8-10 years old. I put new burners and grates in a few years ago. Should have replaced it last year. Just got a Weber spirit 310, so far I really like it. Seems very well made. It's a basic grill, not many bells and whistles but I don't need those things.

I have a 5500 watt generator with a B&S engine, it starts good. I try to start it every month and let it run for an hour or so. I keep fresh gas in it and keep an extra spark plug with it. Also have a pressure washer with a B&S engine. Both came from TSC.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I picked up a 2,700 psi Troy-Built power washer with B&S motor on it last weekend. My dad has had essentially the same one for years and it still runs fine. I can deal with a little difficulty starting if it runs well once I start it up. It was on sale and after giving it some thought, I decided to roll the dice on this unit and put the additional savings towards a generator.

Yesterday I cooked on the Char-Broil Infrared grill and was impressed with how it cooked. However the reviews online are rather unfriendly. Unfortunately after scouring the net, it appears all grills in the sub $500 market and pieces of shit designed to last 4-5 years if you are lucky. I have literally logged 5-6 hours online researching grills and the outlook is not good. That being said, I think the Char-Broil may be the way I go.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Enjoy them Jesse. I think the biggest issues with the pressure washers are: Failure to winterize and moisture in fuel (due to ethanol gas). Two things you should be able to avoid. You will probably never wear the engine out. Take steps to avoid water in fuel and I doubt you have many starting issues either. Glad you got some new toys!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Found a Blackmax 2,800 psi washer at SAMs tonight for $40 more than I paid for the Troy-Built and it has a Honda engine. Going to do some research and may take the TB back.

Also looked at Kenmore grills. They have one I really like with a folding table attached. It has 4 burners, which I prefer and has stainless steal grates. Anyone have any experience with Kenmore grills and/or stainless steal grates?