Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LASIK and instinctive shooting

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Thursday I had LASIK on both of my eyes. The results so far are beyond anything I could have hoped for.

Today I was feeling groggy and tried shooting my bow; reality hit me hard!

First off I shouldn't have been shooting. My new eyes have a lot to get used to and it's going to take time for them
To adjust to the changes. Everything is different now my depth perception is way better now and I was shocked at how it affected my shooting.

To be blu t I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and had to walk up to less that ten yards to get any consistency. Them it hit me: I strained my right eye.

Lesson learned, ill be waiting a while before I try shooting again. It's gonna take apt of practice though to be ready for elk season..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Probably a little too early for the shooting, give it a couple of weeks and then give it another shot....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You need to give it 4 weeks so the flap heals ans your eyes normalize. You will also want to have sunglasses on hand. Light sensitivity is an issue. When the halos stop on road signs at night you wilk know you are almost there and can shoot again. Rest for now chuck. Had mine done 13 years ago.
You will also need to focus harder because you will be seeing details you have never seen in a long time...

Last edited:

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Thanks, that's my plan right now. So far I'm not having halos yet, but they will probably be here soon. I swear j see like a hawk now. I had no ideal my vision had been that bad.

It is really difficult for me to chill out and wait. It's in my nature to push it..,,,

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thanks, that's my plan right now. So far I'm not having halos yet, but they will probably be here soon. I swear j see like a hawk now. I had no ideal my vision had been that bad.

It is really difficult for me to chill out and wait. It's in my nature to push it..,,,

Its freaky aint it chuck...i could see leaves on a tree so vividly it was amazing to me at the time. I remember the sesory overload i had with mine and it takes some getting used to for about 6 months. Bright snow coveres days are the worst. I have like 6 pairs of sunglasses now. Your shooting will be crazy better once you heal. My golf game improved almost .5 stroke per hole average almost overnight.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
LOL!

I fell asleep on the way home and woke up when we hit the PA mountains (surgery was at Ft Belvoir, VA).

When I woke up I was shocked at how much my depth perception had changed. I told my wife that I never realized how much the mountain rolled and how the terrain changed so much; before it was just one blob.