Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sidearm for hog hunting

educatedhick

I was wondering if it is really that important to carry a backup gun while hog hunting besides the rifle I will be carrying, and any info about hog hunting in zaleski would be helpful.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wouldn't say it's needed in zaleski. Now down in Texas where you have a good chance of unknowingly spooking one close its a little more important. The hogs in Ohio are like coyotes and skittish as hell. Keep the wind in your face.

Jamie

Ohio
wild hogs, as opposed to the ones that some people "hunt" inside of a fenced enclosure, will react to you exactly like any other wild animal. they run. I've done a fair amount of hog hunting with a bow and arrow in SC, encountered dozens of wild pigs at close range. only one time was I ever fearful for my safety. I had snuck into good bow range, less than 15 yards, on a small sounder of 5 medium sized pigs that were busily feeding, nocked an arrow and waited for the closest target to turn broadside. while I waited, one small, errant wind gust gave me away. they all went on alert and promptly ran like hell upon smelling me, except for one big black boar that I hadn't even seen until the others fled. he spotted me from about 30 yards away, stared me down for about 5 seconds and started coming. no where to run, nothing to climb in middle of real SC swamp, so I held my ground and was prepared to shoot him in forehead in self defense. scared shitless, as I drew my bow, I yelled at the top of my lungs when pig was 20 feet and closing fast. when I did, he put on the brakes and turned tail. I was awfully close to getting hurt that day, but it was a fluke, as that practically never happens when you are stalking/still hunting true wild pigs. pigs will run from you as fast as any game animal. you need a sidearm for pig hunting about as much as you need one for deer hunting. now, if you are running them with dogs, a large pig that is bayed can be very dangerous for obvious reasons.

I agree with squirrely 100%. I've hunted big boar across the southeast and have only had one come at me that I had backed into the bank of a rice field. If it makes you more comfortable, carry a handgun. I know in some states the barrel needs to be 5" without a concealed carry license. I have an XD tactical (13 rnds 45 acp+p) or a 686 6" that I carry. Other than that a rifle or shotgun should be fine. Aim behind their ear.