Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn on the cob ... NOW

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In case you didn't know this, I certainly didn't ..... if you see corn in stores such as wally world at this time of year, you can prepare it & have it just as tasty as in later summer. My wife & I had some in April & it was so delicious. This corn came from Florida like any other would this time of year & was already a few weeks old by the time it's sold. If you're not cooking it while in its husk over the grill, boil it using 1 part milk & 2 parts water. Add a cup of sugar & a stick or so of butter. The milk & sugar will break down the enzymes. Since there's butter in the water, there's no need to add butter later, unless you choose. We were so impressed by this. Maybe this is something you guys already know. At the begining of this month, I attended my Deer Camp's Spring Fling & we had corn cooked over the fire while still in the husk. It had been soaked for a spell & that TOO was tasty.

Huckleberry Finn

Yup.

The second you break the cob off the stalk, the sugar in the kernels start turning into starch.

I'd never eat corn flown up from Florida or anything like that. I prefer it to be about 25 seconds old, the time that it takes to husk it and eat it raw out in the field...once you eat good sweet corn that way, you can't go back. Then again, I also don't care for the super sweet varieties either - just too much Monsanto. Can't beat Silver Queen though!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I've been in a huge corn kick here lately. A few years ago my parents bought damn near a truck load from the ohio river, and we spent a weekend husking it and freezing it. Talk about delicious.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Most people over cook sweetcorn. You only need to cook the kernels not the cob. Get your water boiling, drop the corn in, when the water comes back to a boil the corn is done.