Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Closing the distance on turkeys

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have about one or two more hunts left. I have Toms consistently making an appearance on a neighboring property at a distance of 450 yards. Is it possible to get them to come to me at this distance. I gobble called them last Saturday and they looked my way, but never came in. Should I set up all 10 of my decoys and hope for the best?

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I've been going through sort of the same ordeal myself this season...I've located birds, seen where they roost only to watch them gobble at my calls and keep on walking...very frustrating trying to figure out what these birds want or need to move in my direction....one morning I even had a real hen 50yds. in front of me that the gobblers could see and they just kept on walking the other direction...

good luck Mike, i would say stay the course if you can't get any closer to them...I've had a couple of turkey hunts where we sat in the same spot and called and heard absolutely nothing all morning...only to go back the next day and hear gobbles @ 100yds. away and have them come our way.

Hope it all works out for you, either way.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Its tough to pull em that far. If they can see your decoys you might pull em . But it would be tough. I assume you absolutely can't get permission from the neighbor . What if you ask em to just hunt there one time ?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just break out the 22.250.... Problem solved lol.... I suck at this turkey hunting game so I've got nothing for Mike....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Its tough to pull em that far. If they can see your decoys you might pull em . But it would be tough. I assume you absolutely can't get permission from the neighbor . What if you ask em to just hunt there one time ?

The guy is never there. I was going to stop there Saturday and ask but he wasn't around. The owners of the place I do have permission on said he's real funny about people hunting his property. The place where I plan to setup the decoys is high above where they are so hopefully they will see them.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited: