Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Free Bird

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had nearly given up on turkey hunting the rest of this season. Finelyshedded has been diligently pursuing turkeys this season and inspired me. Work has been crazy, but it rained last night pretty good and we had a scheduled late start in order to let things dry out. I woke up at 4am coughing and wheezing from my allergies so I figured it was meant to be. Showered, ate, and trekked into the darkness.

Sat with no sightings and no audible verification of any birds in the area the first hour or so. I pondered the insanity which brought me into the woods again to chase these nonexistent critters. Made a few calls periodically until 7am and then decided to make my first camera card change of the season. I moved several hundred yards north along the edge of a picked corn field which runs jagged along a creek. At the north end of the field a railroad track separates the field from some woods. On the opposite side of the creek are two fields which have already been planted. I slowly stepped up onto the tracks to peek across the creek to the other fields to see if there were any turkeys out there and I saw one.

I slip back in the direction I came from and grab a tree. Ironically it is the same tree I killed a doe out of last deer season. I hear a couple yelps. I responded with 3 yelps. We repeat this a couple times when I suddenly hear a gobble. My heart rate increased! I wait until the hen yelps again then I mimmick her in a bit higher/quicker pitch. Gobble number 2! I stay quiet until the hen lets out a couple of yelps again. I respond with 4-5 faster and higher pitched yelps then shut up. No response for a bit until I hear a gobble and it is closer! I stay quiet and listen intently. A couple times I let out the softest purrs I can hoping to direct him to my location. I was pretty sure I heard some grasses moving and peered out of the corner of my eye until I saw him!

This is amazing. It is the first interaction I have ever had with a turkey and it is actually working! I sit perfectly still, only moving my eyes. He continues into the open looking for the "hen" which had been coaxing him in. My gun was off safe when the third gobble sounded off right behind me and the gun was resting on my knees already as well. When the tom turned I raised the gun up, drew my bead, and squeezed the trigger. Thud is all I heard. No boom. He gone.

No clue what happened. The primer was not dented. There was a round chambered. Safety was off. The round was fully chambered. Just no boom. Not sure what to think.

The turkey? Not too shabby. Appeared to have about a 10" beard. No less than 8", no more than 12". Not a huge body. Didn't think to look for spurs because I saw beard and decided to shoot. When the gun didn't fire, he scooted. "Free bird".

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Did that last gun season on a doe.... The worlds loudest sound in the woods when it happens lol.... Sucks when it happens but if you hunt long enough you'll have it.....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That sucks Phil, but sounds like a fun morning anyway!! One question though, why didn't you just try and tackle it after the gun malfunctioned?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That sucks Phil, but sounds like a fun morning anyway!! One question though, why didn't you just try and tackle it after the gun malfunctioned?

Hard to tackle when you are busy banging your gun against a tree? lmao

Jesse
Damn man, nothing like a swift kick in the cohenes! That sucks man. At least you still have a tag...

True. I do still have a tag until May 19 I believe. If anything it is more motivation to get back out there. I was beginning to think they had left the property for the most part. Seeing the direction he went and picking him out later when I was leaving gives me a little more to think about for making a game plan. Felt pretty dang good knowing I called him in and hearing the gobbles get closer. Sometimes shit happens. Turkeys have slowly expanded in our area. For my second season and hunting totally green and solo, I am pleased. I appreciate all the great wealth of knowledge I have gained reading my TOO friends' contributions!

aholdren
Now your hooked.

Eh. It was cool. I wouldn't say "hooked" though. Just not the same as deer hunting. Sort of like fishing to me. I love hooking into a big old farm pond bass. If I go a few times a year I am satisfied. If I catch a nice one every couple years I am fine with it. For the time being, this is how I am looking at turkey hunting. Probably because I KNOW I can never commit much time to the sport due to spring obligations.

Last edited:

JPN

coshocton
That sucks man. But keep after him. I'm sure he's forgotten all about it. I have shot a turkey and rolled him only to watch him fly away and the next morning he was roosted in the same tree and killed him.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Sorry too hear that Phil..... You sound like me, when it comes to Turkey hunting. I really enjoy it, but my motivation isn't the same as my deer hunting. None the less, great to hear you had some time to get out and enjoy a great morning in the woods.

Hilarious responses also!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Honestly Phil I seen this happen to my Mom and she just jacked another shell in the chamber and mashed him. Just sayin! rotflmao

In a different position I could see it working. Where I was sitting by the time I racked another round he was gone. Your mom is probably better with a shotgun than I am. Hahaha. I wont lie Aaron. My first reaction was "D'oh! What the heck?" I out two and two together and he was gone. I would of had to have chased him around the corner. Maybe I should waited for him to get more out into the open. I think I was just stunned to have a gobbler in front of me. Lmao

I appreciate it guys. I am not pissed anymore. I experienced it. I feel I did everything right. Cant change it now. Age old question: is it the hunt or the kill? In this case the hunt was what will fuel me to try again. Not the same drove and passion as deer hunting but a different sort of challenge in itself!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Im just yanking you Phil. It happens, I pulled the trigger three times on a gray fox with a single shot and after the call was over I pulled the hammer back pulled the trigger and it went off. I never had another problem with that gun again.:smiley_chinrub:

Mao

Coshocton, OH
You got to experience the best part. Anyone can squeeze a trigger and kill one. You worked him and brought him to ya. Well done!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Always an adventure with you Phil :smile:

Sure seems that way. Life is an adventure Jim. We dictate whether it is a good or bad adventure.

I appreciate all the comments and sympathy. You guys get to share your kills. I am happy for you all. I am excited when I see a bird. Calling one in today was sweet. I am over being pissed about it. Life is short. I had a new experience today. Thank you all for reading about it and chiming in. Might get a chance to try again Tues or Wed morning.

themedic

OHIO
Hick,

Last week I called one in and goofed it up when he saw me aiming down on him. He spooked with out me ever pulling the trigger. When I got back to the house to empty gun gun, I didnt have any shells in the gun.....chit happens. Get him next time