Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Your thoughts plz on mineral block

MandRroofing

In the woods
Hey guys,I have an area I consider a deer sanctuary.I pretty much stay out of it but I do have a wireless trail cam set up on the out skirts on this area. I would like to put a mineral block in front of this camera. My question is, has anyone ever noticed things like mineral blocks /salt blocks spooking mature bucks?I have my cam hidden pretty well because I have had my cams spook mature bucks before...

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No. Joe and JD have more pictures of true giants standing over $9 salt blocks from Tractor Supply than anyone I know. As long as you are not in there once a week, which is sounds like you won't be, you should not have any issues.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Mineral sites are how i see what bucks i have hanging around my area. I have cams at all of them come June. I havent noticed any bucks being spooked by them. Try it, Im sure you will like it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No. Joe and JD have more pictures of true giants standing over $9 salt blocks from Tractor Supply than anyone I know. As long as you are not in there once a week, which is sounds like you won't be, you should not have any issues.

Yep. I've never seen a deer act funny around a salt block unless it was because of the camera. Even then they get used to it and keep coming back.

Don't get the brown mineral block. You'll get far more pictures over the straight salt white one.

MandRroofing

In the woods
Yep. I've never seen a deer act funny around a salt block unless it was because of the camera. Even then they get used to it and keep coming back.

Don't get the brown mineral block. You'll get far more pictures over the straight salt white one.

I might get both mineral and salt side by side.is like to supply a lil nutrition for the deer

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio

Yep! Just straight salt blocks are the best, IMO.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Totally agree going with straight white salt blocks BUT, just be forewarned that trespassers or others humanoids will possibly see it and investigate it thus maybe seeing your camera then stealing it. Just saying...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
They seem to hit the brown blocks fine for me. I even break them up with a sledge hammer. Maybe there aren't any other options in the area?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They seem to hit the brown blocks fine for me. I even break them up with a sledge hammer. Maybe there aren't any other options in the area?

That's likely it. Put a white one beside it. I'm willing to bet you see the deer prefer it and possibly more deer visiting.