Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

still holding

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I came upon a 7 point buck and a doe on the way to my turkey blind this afternoon. I filmed it for 10 minutes, it got to within 15 yards of me and never knew i was there!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is bizarre! I need to look up the trail cam pics I got last year or the year before. Small buck holding one side in early May. That was the latest I ever saw one holding. They are growing like crazy right now. Had a report of two bucks that had already turned out and were about as wide as their ears tonight. These deer were seen today.

That said: You think you might have an antlered doe running around? I have read where they do not shed because they don't have the same hormone changes a male deer does.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It could be an antlered doe. It was weird cause the antlered deer was always the one to go first when they were done eating at a certain spot and the doe would stay back about 30 yards until she figured everything was cool, usually it's the other way around. I'm uploading the video to youtube right now and I'll post it here when it's done. How rare is an antlered doe anyway?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Pretty rare! I'd say at least one in a 500,000. Don't know for sure. Only remember a half a dozen or so I've seen in media outlets or even heard about.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
[video=youtube;9zG08qbv0fc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zG08qbv0fc[/video]

sorry about the quality but I only had my cell phone and I cuss a little bit in the video so I apologize there

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Typically antlered doe do not shed velvet either because they do not produce enough testosterone to initiate the shedding process. Definitely weird either way.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I just had a thought? Wouldn't it be cool, if that buck actually kept his last years horn, while growing his new horn. You could see the growth comparison from last year to this year.

Granted his rack would be somewhat lopsided, but who cares. That doesn't happen everyday!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That deer walked up to the trail that I was crouched beside and stared at me from 15 yards for about 30 seconds then went back to eating plants, then he crossed the trail at the bottom of the hill which you see in the video.