Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Allergies: Seasonal

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyone else suffer from seasonal allergies? I do. I have been on a mowing crew the last two weeks and have been really surprised at how little my allergies were bothering me. Taking a Claritan D in the morning and just a little stuffiness and occasional sneeze. Yesterday that ended. I don't know what it was but something flat out tore me up yesterday. I ended up running to a gas station to buy another box of Kleenex and some Zyrtek. Two different 24hr allergy pills taken, and went thru the whole box of tissues. Woke up this morning wheezing and my eyes were matted shut from whatever was in the air bothering me.

Anyone have additional suggestions for seasonal allergies besides over the counter stuff? I might start trying local honey as I hear it helps. Desperate for solutions. I feel terrible.

On the flipside, I mowed a 10acre property by myself while the guys put down 15-20yds of mulch. When I finished mowing I helped them finish the mulch. We knocked out one heck of a property!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I suffer from allergies TOO Phi. I just take a 24 hour Zyrtek a day and avoid rubbing my eyes with my hands and or fingers for cold or flu bugs. I highly recommend the Vicks sinus nasal spray for your plugged up sinuses. It's amazing how effective that stuff is for opening up your sinus cavities so you can breathe! Other than that I just hope and pray I don't come down with bronchitis. If that happens I'm down to going to the doctor for a shot,nebulizer(sp?) treatment and a Zpack!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I get regular sinus infections and last year the doc determined they have a seasonal allergy component. I have been on flonase for almost a year and it has been great. I can now breathe through my nose and I barely snore anymore.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I get regular sinus infections and last year the doc determined they have a seasonal allergy component. I have been on flonase for almost a year and it has been great. I can now breathe through my nose and I barely snore anymore.

Good to hear. They put my son on Flonase. Seems to be helping him. Maybe I should look into it. My nose is stuffy all year. Just seems like the allergies are seasonal to where they really flare up at times. Yesterday was one of those days.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I live in a valley that kills most people who come here that aren't accustomed to our air, so I'm fairly immune to most airborne things. When I wake up in the mornings, I usually need to blow my nose, but that is about it. Now my wife, she suffers most of the year...

Schu72

Streetsboro
The older I get the worse my environmental allergies get. I never used to be allergic to anything. Slowly over the last few years pollen has bothered me more and more. This past week was the all time worst. Kind of like you Phil...taking allergy meds like candy and still waking up with matted eyes, stuffy nose, cough. Getting real tired of this....

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I don't mind waking up and blowing my nose once or twice but when it almost immediately ends up as a sinus infection for me with the pressure and a cough and colored gunk is what bothers me most. That and most sinus medication puts me to sleep.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Me too. In 1977 I had to go to The Rocky Mountians for 6 weeks as I was infected so bad. My Nose Doctor called the Ohio Valley because of the heavy industries Death Valley.
Anyway 6 years ago I started taking a teaspoon of honey (suppose to be 1 tablespoon) with my 1st cup of coffee and it's been a complete salvation for me. Had relief in 5 days. Local honey is good but I believe any honey is OK. 5 yrs ago I was in SD on a dog hunt and the wild flowers were blooming and I was beside myself with sinus infection. I took some honey there that was labled a product of SD, IA, Canada, Chile, Peru, China or a combination of the above listed. I had instant relief. So honey to me anyways is just honey as it all works.
When I started I had relieve in 5 days. But everyone is different and for some it may not work. It always works for my 2 daughters. My nephew is so bad he carries a roll of toilet paper with him at all times. But he didn't have relief in 5 days as I did so he gave up and said it's hogwash. Maybe it would had taken longer for him but who knows.

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Yep, same thing Phil. Was pleasantly surprised at how well the Spring was progressing and not being bothered until mid/late last week. I was a mess all weekend working outside.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Talked to a long time friend tonight who is a family practitioner. He called me in some Flonase and an Albuteral inhaler. I woke myself up yesterday morning from the wheezing. He said I could also continue taking Claritin D and if needed take a Zyrtek (non-D). I guess they also give Prednisone steroid packs (or was it shots?) but I react to Prednisone so that is out. Going to keep taking the honey. I read it has been proven false to work on allergies. Read it on the internet so who knows if true or not. I like honey. I am desperate for relief. I will keep taking it. haha

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Talked to a long time friend tonight who is a family practitioner. He called me in some Flonase and an Albuteral inhaler. I woke myself up yesterday morning from the wheezing. He said I could also continue taking Claritin D and if needed take a Zyrtek (non-D). I guess they also give Prednisone steroid packs (or was it shots?) but I react to Prednisone so that is out. Going to keep taking the honey. I read it has been proven false to work on allergies. Read it on the internet so who knows if true or not. I like honey. I am desperate for relief. I will keep taking it. haha

Good luck with your new meds. I know it's hell. My 2 daughters and I had sinus infections and honey works for us. But I'll always had minor hayfever in the spring and that seems to be a lot better.
For me the honey works. Matter of fact I'm drinking my cup od coffee with honey as I type this.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Did you ever try steam? Bring some water to a simmer, then put a towel over your head and breathe in the steam. I do this from time to time as there are very few meds I can take.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Did you ever try steam? Bring some water to a simmer, then put a towel over your head and breathe in the steam. I do this from time to time as there are very few meds I can take.

My daughter did the steam for 20 years before going on honey. The Doctor even had her put something into the steam. Might of helped but no cure. Now with the honey for 6 years she hasn't had anymore sinus infections.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I was wheezing on inhale and exhale last night in bed. Finally my wife said "Go take the hottest/steamiest shower you can stand. It will help open up your lungs." (She couldn't sleep and I couldn't breath real well.) I took the hot shower. Then I took a couple puffs off my son's inhaler. Then I put some Vaporub on my chest and under my nose. Lay back down and no wheezing for about 5 minutes. Then it started again. It was bad.

Fast forward to today. Picked up the nose spray (nasonex/flonase or something like that) and the Albuteral inhaler. Not sure if those were the difference or if the pollen count was down today, but I was tons better. I think it was more about the pollen count being down because I wasn't sneezing as much either. Nose wasn't a steady drip like a faucet today either. I am going to continue with the honey. Like I said, I like honey and I am desperate. I am going to try it all. lol

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Any honey? Or local honey? How much per day?

Local honey is thought to be better because the bees make the honey out of the plants causing your sinus problems. But any honey works for me.
I was told to take 1 tablespoon per day. But 1 teaspoon works for me. If I'm having problems I will take one morning and night. But that's probably only 4-5 times per year.
I read somewhere never put the honey in the microwave to remelt it as the microwaves kills the enzynes.

Huckleberry Finn

Not an allergy guy but after a bad sinus infection a few months ago, I went out and bought a humidifier/fan combo. I run it every night and sleep like a dream. Best $25 I've spent in awhile.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyone else feeling some relief from their allergies the last several days? I ask only because mine seem to have simmered down. Not sure if it is the honey, or the medicine, or if the pollen count is down. I don't care. I will take it and continue doing what I am doing.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Anyone else feeling some relief from their allergies the last several days? I ask only because mine seem to have simmered down. Not sure if it is the honey, or the medicine, or if the pollen count is down. I don't care. I will take it and continue doing what I am doing.

Mine have but I am on antibiotics for the massive sinus infection I had.