Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Name this snake ....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Uggghh, of all people, I can't believe I'm posting a snake pic. A co worker was showing me pics on her phone of piebald deer in her yard & then she showed me this one. She was taking off a tarp covering their tractor over in Coshocton area last spring I think & this was underneath. I'm not sure what kind it is.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
My guess is that it was ready to shed...

Cloudy eyes tells me it was hiding to shed. Snakes don't like to be out much when their eyes start to cloud up right before shedding. Too many dangers for them to wonder into since they can't see well. Snakes are also more snappy when ready to shed. You have a better chance of getting struck with a bite once those eyes look like this one does. I also agree on the type of snake. Many people mistake them for copperheads. Pretty close in color but way different shape head as the copper has an arrow shape to it as well as the eye is a slit like cats eyes. If you could see this snakes eyes you would see the black is circle.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Many people mistake them for copperheads.

About 15 years ago while working on firewood, one of these suckers was hiding in the wood pile and came out striking. We cut its head off, but a few inches back. To my surprise, it kept striking for several minutes! Craziest thing I ever saw.

Anyway, I took it to a local fire department where there was a resident "snake expert" on duty as I was worried about whether or not it was a copperhead.

He said they were often mistaken for copperheads. Then he proceeded to tell me that you can't tell a poisonous snake by the shape of its head as that can change due to whether or not they've eaten recently.

But the funniest part of his explanation was when he said you can turn a snake over and depending on whether or not the black "plates" touch determine if they are indeed poisonous. I can't remember which way is poison (touch or not touch) as my first thought was "Yep, I'm gonna turn a live snake over before deciding if my life is at stake or not"! lmao

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
About 15 years ago while working on firewood, one of these suckers was hiding in the wood pile and came out striking. We cut its head off, but a few inches back. To my surprise, it kept striking for several minutes! Craziest thing I ever saw.

Anyway, I took it to a local fire department where there was a resident "snake expert" on duty as I was worried about whether or not it was a copperhead.

He said they were often mistaken for copperheads. Then he proceeded to tell me that you can't tell a poisonous snake by the shape of its head as that can change due to whether or not they've eaten recently.

But the funniest part of his explanation was when he said you can turn a snake over and depending on whether or not the black "plates" touch determine if they are indeed poisonous. I can't remember which way is poison (touch or not touch) as my first thought was "Yep, I'm gonna turn a live snake over before deciding if my life is at stake or not"! lmao

fa41db54-1179-4453-8757-8e8c48e1ba99.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang that's a tough one. Looks like a milk snake... Also looks similar to a corn snake. Hard to tell from the pic, IMO.