Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

nw ohio reservoirs

I haven't hit Bresler, yet. I was on Metzger about a month ago and it was too cold. I'll be going out tomorrow, but I have yet to decide which one I'm going to try. :smiley_chinrub: Lima Lake has some good crappie action, on the south bank. Ofcourse, there's the occassional rainbow trout.

Ferguson and Metzger produce some nice fish, but I have yet to catch some good fish. Good = eating and/or legal size. I have always caught good sized channelcats and largemouth bass. All other species have been less than satisfactory...in these two bodies of water.

Lost Creek has too much pumping activity to interest me. The levels are constantly fluctuating and there's a silly amount of carp (sewer bass) in it.

I've not spent enough time on Bresler to give an honest evaluation of its' fish production capability. I've caught some huge channelcats out of it too, using Rebel Crawfish crankbaits. An occassional sheephead will slam my crankbaits, as I troll along the east bank and they'll nearly wreck a rod/reel, if the drag isn't set properly.

Schoonover Lake is best fished very early in the morning or after dark, due to the water clarity. The summer months, at night, offer some good topwater action. The "draw-back" to this lake, at night...don't forget to take your CCW, in that area.

I've had better luck...meaning bigger fish and more fish, in some of the borrow pits along S.R. 33 and I-75, if you can get permission. :smiley_blink: BTW...I only fish from my kayak...and, yes, it makes a difference in the quality and quantity of fish caught.

Bowhunter57

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Ya I live 4 miles west of bresslers and fished it all my life. It used to be a awesome place to fish now its like a bath tub. Metzger and Ferguson should be good since the 15 inch limit has been in place there for two years. And lost creek is a good place at the right time . I've also fished vanwerts two reservoir's real hard the last several years with good luck . But IMO none of the reservoirs are what they were in the 90's and I can't figure out why . I wish they would put a15 inch limit state wide limit on the walleye and saugeye jmo keep us posted.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We used to hit Bressler's often when I was a kid and actually had time to fish. Always from the bank with mixed results. When the white bass are schooled up it is fun. Catch one nearly every cast. Seems like there were only certain times you could do it though and I never studied it enough to figure it out. Now I lack the time to worry about it.

I am just outside of Cridersville for what it is worth.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
10 4 its about time to fish leeches off the north bank for the eyes. And I understand with the time restraints my boy is playing baseball and 4 h meetings and I help my buddy farm so ya I know whatcha mean.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
10 4 its about time to fish leeches off the north bank for the eyes. And I understand with the time restraints my boy is playing baseball and 4 h meetings and I help my buddy farm so ya I know whatcha mean.

Yup. 3 kids in 4H. One in baseball, one in softball and piano. The third has some special needs and has counseling at least once a week. Throw in a wife with 12hr shifts at the hospital and my busiest time of the year. . . . Not sure why I bought my license. lmao