Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wader brands

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
I am wanting to get a pair of waders but would like to know if anyone has opinions on brands and which ones are good.

I'm looking for affordable but durable chest-high waders. I am in the "big and tall" range as I'm a big guy but not rotund just a larger man. The brand I have been looking at is: http://www.bigcamo.com/Itasca

Plan on also looking at Sportsmans Den and FinFeatherFur so any retail brands that are durable and comfortable? I don't want my crotch ripping if I bend or sit down.

Thanks

Huckleberry Finn

I do not reccomend Itasca for anything...very cheap. Had a pair of their boots that lost soles within the first 6 wears...

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
What ever brand you decide, get the neoprene with a pocket on the chest. The rubber ones dont keep you warm, and the pocket will save you a lot of grief.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I bought a pair of Columbia's two years ago, and so far I like them. 5mm neoprene with hand warmer chest pocket. My next pair will probably be cabelas brand or hodgeman.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I am wanting to get a pair of waders but would like to know if anyone has opinions on brands and which ones are good.

I'm looking for affordable but durable chest-high waders. I am in the "big and tall" range as I'm a big guy but not rotund just a larger man. The brand I have been looking at is: http://www.bigcamo.com/Itasca

Plan on also looking at Sportsmans Den and FinFeatherFur so any retail brands that are durable and comfortable? I don't want my crotch ripping if I bend or sit down.

Thanks

What is the primary activity you will be doing in the waders. I am in waders 60-70 days per year and have been in and through every type made.
Let me know what you will be using them for and I will try to help. As was stated stay away from the rubber ones no matter what the activity.

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
I would be using them for fishing mostly. Some warmth would be nice for fishing into fall. durable/flexible so I can hike and sit comfortably in the woods on the way to fishing

reo

N.E. Ohio
I would go with a 3.5 mil stocking foot neo wader. Should be able to find at bass pro or cabelas for under $80. You will also need a wading boot. Get a good hiking boot style (you said you would be hiking) and remember that the wading boot can be used through many pairs of waders, amost a one time investment. Boot foot type waders are not good for hiking but would be good for standing in waist deep ice water. 5 mil will be way to warm for summer.
Hope this helps

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would go with a 3.5 mil stocking foot neo wader. Should be able to find at bass pro or cabelas for under $80. You will also need a wading boot. Get a good hiking boot style (you said you would be hiking) and remember that the wading boot can be used through many pairs of waders, amost a one time investment. Boot foot type waders are not good for hiking but would be good for standing in waist deep ice water. 5 mil will be way to warm for summer.
Hope this helps

Great advice, here. For strictly fishing, it's hard to beat stocking-foot waders with wading boots. Take a look at the Cabelas Dry Plus breathable waders. I believe they're offered in both stocking-foot and boot-foot options.