Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My 870....

Diablo54

Outside
Is changing colors
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366893424.985173.jpg

Diablo54

Outside
Well I woke up this morning knowing that we were rained out from work and that I was headed to the turkey jerky woods. I got up made some coffee and camod up. I walked outside and hopped in the truck and started the drive to our property. just as I was about to turn onto the last road I decided Ito give a new property I got permission on a chance. I parked and stood by the truck and couldn't hear anything but dogs barking after 5 mins of listening to the mutts I thought why the hell would a turkey gobble with all this racket. so I jumped in the truck again and arrived at our property, as soon as I opened the door I heard a gobble at the very top of the hill. Perfect spot to try to kill him, I climbed up the mountain and waited....waited some more... took a piss.... waited and gobble! but it was far off. so I hit the crow call and gobble gobble gobble all in different directions and all past the property lines....WTH!! I would have sworn that there was a turkey up here. After 20 min of listening to turkeys gobble their heads off on the neighbors property I walked back down the hill and headed back to my first spot. I got there and Boom 3 turkeys gobbling in the piece off woods right infront of me. So I grabbed the gun and took off through the field. Then it hit me..... I have no clue what these woods are like. I have permission but just got it 2 weeks ago and have never stepped foot in it. Fugg it might as well try to setup. So I go to step in the woods and its nothing but brush. Perfect... its foggy out turkeys are only 100 yards off and I have no idea where to go. I start poking through the brush as quiet as possible and walk into a nice piece of hardwoods. Sweet. I sit down and get out my slate call and put my mouth call in. I make one yelp on the slate and gobble pretty close too. Hmm this might be easy.. I go to yelp again with the slate and all I get out of it is some high pitch turkey/wounded dog scream. stupid piece of crap, well it was probably my fault but anyways I threw the slate on the ground and started calling with my mouth call. Yelp yelp yelp gobble. das right.. anyways I wait a minute and call again and gobbles come from 3 directions. ones behind me ones right infront of me and one is to my right. This goes on for 15 min and the closest bird wont commit. So I slip forword about 40 yards and sit down again. I call and 2 jakes gobble (More like the noise ron makes when he finds a shed not really a gobble just a excited noise) right infront of me. so I call again right after that and the big bird gobbles behind them. then I get real quiet like and 2 heads pop over the hill. I click off my safety and see that they are jakes. safety back on and the two birds slip into the brush. I wait and I wait and I wait and every thing goes silent and the tom is no where to be seen. hmmmm... so I turn my head and call and all three birds gobbled at the same time. This time I can hear him shake. so I start to shake a bit to, I wait a minute and nothing comes over the hill. sooo I turn my head and call and I heard him pop into strut right infront of me but I cant see him. safety off again and gun up. then out of no where I can see his head and neck. I lay down my cheek on my gun and put my finger on the trigger. He takes a step and now hes behind a tree. then out of no where he starts being like a stupid turkey. putt.....putt..... he steps out from behind the tree head red as can be and beard swaying. I put the bead on his neck and boom.....Flop death... that was easy. So I stand over him for a minute with my foot on his neck and look around. I think to myself im gona call and see if those other birds were getting any closer. I make the first yelp and this turkey that hasn't moved a muscle since I shot starts flipping out. making weird noises and flapping his wings. after his death flops I picked him up and tried to put him in my turkey vest. Who makes a turkey vest that you cant get a turkey into? I could only get half of him in it. Wtf is this rip off. I guess I should have looked at that when I bought the vest instead of waiting until the problem arrived. Ill just pack him out. I get to the truck and im digging through the tool box looking for a tape measure when I hear wings. I look up and here flys two jakes into the field. the first one lands about 80 yards away and the second lands only 30 yards away. Are you that stupid? you just watched me carry your dead grandpa through that field?? He ended up having a 10.5 in beard and 1.25 inch spurs. hopefully the next one will be with the widow.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great bird, great write up! I was cracking up several times. Pictured Ron finding a shed and laughed. Written up very well providing me with some great visuals of your hunt in my head! Nice job Taylor.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great turkey hunting story Taylor! Loved the part about Ron's noise he makes when he finds a shed! Lol. You forgot about the part where he masterbates though...rotflmao

Don't tell me you did that?!?

Congrats on a great looking bird and thanks for sharing your hunt.