Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Moundhills April 24th turkey

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Well I sealed the deal on a jake thismorning. It was the first bird I've ever called in and it's a pretty cool feeling. While on the roost, the birds werent gobbling for anything. So I waited them out and about 6:30 they started talking. I got setup on a real nice lone Tom on a logging road. But after an ameture setup and my decoy falling over he lost interest and backed out after coming in to 40 yards. I just didn't have a shot. So I went back to the first spot I setup and sat down. Not 15 seconds later I had 3 birds to my left hammering. Not far off at all. After a little mouth call sweet talk they strolled in to around 35-40 yards and hung up. Idk what happened but they knew something wasn't right and started poking their heads around and putting. So I knew it was now or never and pulled up on a red head and blasted him. Of course with my luck, it just happened to be the smallest jake I have ever seen. But it was rewarding nonetheless, and was a great hunt. I came back to that same spot about an hour later with a buddy to try to get him on one, and the two toms were still hammering! After yet again another poor setup on our part, and dancing around with these birds it was finally noon and we had to pull out. It was over all an awsome day in the woods, regardless on the size of my turkey. Hopefully Saturday I can bust his great great grandpa.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366844076.837664.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366844097.089495.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366844125.401726.jpg

Diablo54

Outside
Did he still have pieces of egg shell on him from where he just hatched!? Hahahaa u know I'm playin. Congrats on the bird man!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Can't believe nobody said it: "Nice jake, Jake."

I won't make fun of the fact it has less whiskers than Fluteman. I have never called in a bird. Good job man. I am proud of you. Nice to see one of our younger TOO brothers call in and tag a bird!