Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jake With A Bow.

I set out with one goal for this year: to kill my first bird with a bow. Yesterday I came very close to taking out a big tom. Once I drew my bow back I discovered that the trigger on my release had come unscrewed and the release was no longer functional. So I let the Tom and the hen was with him walk off. Today I woke up late at 0645. I thought about staying in bed but I looked out the window and saw it wasn't raining. So I got out of bed, got dressed, and smeared the ash of a burnt wine cork on my face. I couldn't find my boots so I put on my ABU combat boots and headed for the woods. It is really nice to hunt in your backyard. On the way to my spot I jumped a doe, she ran 15 yards and stopped. I laid flat on the ground and she walked away without alarm after awhile. I've had so many turkey hunts ruined buy deer that I've started smoking my cloths the night before. I got to my spot and sat down beneath a white oak. A Pileated Woodpeaker joined me and started hammering away at a dead ash tree for his breakfast. I hit the box call a few times and the woods was silent for about 30 minutes. Then I saw two black bodies making their way down the hill and into the creek bottom. The two Jakes crossed the creek which was about 50 yards in front of me. One went left and one went right. The Jake on the left continued to walk toward me. The Jake on the right walked into the some thick greenbrier and started strutting. Once the Jake on my left got to about 40 yards he stopped; had a look around and then kept walking toward me. When he got to 35 yards he had to walk behind a large hickory tree which was between him and I. I took that opportunity to draw my bow. Once he came out from behind the tree I made a little "huck" noise with my mouth. He stopped and I pulled the trigger. He fell over dead and didn't even kick once. I've never seen a turkey just hit the ground lights out. The 100gr two blade Rage turkey broadhead and Easton FMJ 476gr total weight arrow did a heck of a job on this bird. The other jake didn't seem to notice what just happened to his buddy and continued the strut in the greenbrier for awhile. He walked parallel to the creek for a ways. Then he crossed the creek like nothing happened. Now Im looking for a longbeard.

Last edited: