Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

not much gobbiling

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have had a hell of time so far. Brief moments of talk from the roost, then nothing once they fly down. Frustrating to say the least...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The bird we shot yesterday gobbled 80 times on the roost Monday. Yesterday maybe 5. Monday he gobbled all the way on the ground till he got with hens. Yesterday he hit the ground and didn't gobble until he was 15 yards from us. They're henned up. Odds are the toms that are roost gobbling are roosted close to hens. They hit the ground and go to their strut zone to meet the hens. Or they gobble until the hens show up then pitch to them. Get in close to the roost where he can see your deeks. Fire him up and he should pitch to the deeks. Or get in his strut zone.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Same with me Jesse they aren't saying much on the ground. We had a bad hatch around our neck of the woods 2 years ago with less two year olds there is a lot less gobbilin. A buddy of mine killed one Monday we brung him from a quarter of a mile away once he hit the ground he never said a word and he gobbled his head off in the tree. Just thinking next week it will be better. Good luck .

lung buster

hocking county
Sat and sun the birds seemed to be gobbling everywhere. Mon and yesterday I pretty heard nothing at all from the roost. Then yesterday I got some to gobble at 9:30 and by the time I killed mine at 11:00 I had 5 birds responding. Crazy acting birds!

Huckleberry Finn

I heard 70 gobbles from the roost on Monday and less than 5 from the ground. My buddy hunted there yesterday and didn't hear anything at all.

You just never know!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I heard 70 gobbles from the roost on Monday and less than 5 from the ground. My buddy hunted there yesterday and didn't hear anything at all.

You just never know!

Yep, just depends what mood their in. Being mobile helps if you want action, travel till you find a bird that wants to work.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
somebody made the obsevation that an east wind seems to shut turkeys down just like it does everything else in the woods and the water. Sounds like there might be something to that.